hagerman seminar sept 21, 2pm-4pm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hagerman seminar sept 21, 2pm-4pm

has anyone ever been to one of these? Do you recommend going? Anyone planning on going? This seminar will be held at the refuge presented by Rick Cantu.

I went to one five years ago when I was drawn and it was worth it. They had some nice mounts on display which really pumped most of us up. I'll probably go again this year and do some scouting before/after even though I'm sure it will be the same thing that we heard from Rick at the CCR H qualifier a few weeks back.

Comment

Casilva, did we meet this past weekend at Cabelas? 1st Seminar?

I'd recommend it, get in a morning of scouting, then attend and cool off, go back out and glass for a couple of hours. Their new visitor center is extra nice. I've attended two, it's best to come loaded with ALL of your questions. You will get more information asking, rather than depending on them to cover it in their brief.

Comment

Yes Doug, we did meet on Saturday. Thanks for the heads up in regards to this seminar. I think I will plan on doing like you suggest. Scout, seminar, and maybe scout some more.

Comment

Sorry guys still new to this, what is this seminar is haggerman a place to hunt or a person ? Is the seminar unit specific or good all around info

Comment

Originally posted by big chris View Post
            Sorry guys still new to this, what is this seminar is haggerman a place to hunt or a person ? Is the seminar unit specific or good all around info
            The seminar, if it is like it was several years ago, was not unit specific. Haggerman is the NWR at Pottsboro, if I understand your question. When we are referring to Haggerman or the "H" it is the NWR and the draw hunt that we were drawn for this year. Of course, there aren't any deer up there. We just like to sit in the woods and watch the birds.

Comment

Nice, ok again I'm going to show my public hunting ignorance what's the difference on just getting a public or coe permit and doing the draws ? Do you draw for a specific date or the season do you pay just to have your name in the hat what are the odds of drawing a spot

Comment

Originally posted by big chris View Post
                Nice, ok again I'm going to show my public hunting ignorance what's the difference on just getting a public or coe permit and doing the draws ? Do you draw for a specific date or the season do you pay just to have your name in the hat what are the odds of drawing a spot
                In the case of the "H" you have to go through an IBEP course before you can even apply. That's a day and a half course. Then, if you are drawn (drawing was in June), you are told what segment (dates) that you will hunt. Before a permit is issued, you have to complete an IBO qualification (14 targets, 10-8-5-0 scoring, 80% min score).

This isn't a typical public land draw hunt. The TPWD draw hunts don't have the same criteria, even though it wouldn't be a bad thing, IMO, if they did.

Someone else can speak to other public land hunts, as I don't do those.

Comment

Wow sounds pretty cool will have to do my homework and be ready for next june, and as a new public hunter I must agree I was looking at the results for whitney on deer seen, taken, wounded and thought it was sad that poor shot placement got its own category, crap happens I get that but it was like more injured not recovered than tagged, now I'm sure I've exaggerated the facts but I do remember it being a big number

Comment

Working...
                  X