"Official" SHNF 13-14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Italianxbowuser View Post
    Looks like the dog tracking bill passed, I would think this would apply to SHNF as well...

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedi...?req=20130823b
    We will have to see if they adopt this.

Originally posted by PineyWoodsBow View Post
    that is awesome! Here is my next question, anyone know some folks with dogs that will track?
    My dad and I trained his jack Russell terrier to track a blood trail. He has found a couple deer. If they adopt this I will be using him if needed. Could have used him a couple years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Ksig512 View Post
      Hitting it hard tomorrow morning. Anyone else going to be out ?
      I'm going too hog hunt with my bow for awhile..

Comment

Originally posted by Ksig512 View Post
        Hitting it hard tomorrow morning. Anyone else going to be out ?
        I'm on the way to the lease if that counts :P

Comment

time...(long read)

I don't know if its just me but I leave the house by 4:30am- grab McD's on the way and Oh ya forgot my light so I swing by Wally World to get a $2 light and 2-protein bars. So I get to my spot which should be 35 min away from house and it,s already somewhat light (moon was still some what full) get a couple miles down the road after towing my rather noisy new trailer( gotta fix that!) and unload bow,stand,backpack. I go back to my tree chain the bike up, take off wet clothes and change into dry SF ones. put on my harness, then the leafy wear and I'm back down the trail to load my bow,stand and BP. get to my tree-oh chit ! It's 7am?? Not again,LOL

Does this happen to anyone else?? LOL Did manage to see a coyote that did not come in, No hogs, No deer?? Had fun though and drenched and done at 10:30 am.

Comment

Originally posted by PineyWoodsBow View Post
            that is awesome! Here is my next question, anyone know some folks with dogs that will track?
            Yes, I have a friend that has a Wire Haired Dachshund that is a seasoned veteran at finding wounded deer. I think the dog has recovered every deer it was put on.

Comment

Originally posted by trophytrout1 View Post
              I don't know if its just me but I leave the house by 4:30am- grab McD's on the way and Oh ya forgot my light so I swing by Wally World to get a $2 light and 2-protein bars. So I get to my spot which should be 35 min away from house and it,s already somewhat light (moon was still some what full) get a couple miles down the road after towing my rather noisy new trailer( gotta fix that!) and unload bow,stand,backpack. I go back to my tree chain the bike up, take off wet clothes and change into dry SF ones. put on my harness, then the leafy wear and I'm back down the trail to load my bow,stand and BP. get to my tree-oh chit ! It's 7am?? Not again,LOL

Does this happen to anyone else?? LOL Did manage to see a coyote that did not come in, No hogs, No deer?? Had fun though and drenched and done at 10:30 am.
              I always leave earlier than I need to . Heck at one point in the season I have to leave at 2:30am to make it to my tree 30 minutes before daybreak. Of course I don't live 30 minutes away either.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                I always leave earlier than I need to . Heck at one point in the season I have to leave at 2:30am to make it to my tree 30 minutes before daybreak. Of course I don't live 30 minutes away either.
                I was leaving around 330-4 to get to mine in time last bow season in the forest

Comment

Anybody hunting on the 59 side? I'll be hunting my girls dad's place near sheperd is not too far from the nationa forest

Comment

Don't forget to pack a compass if you hunt deep off trail. It 's easy to get turned around out there folks.

Just before midnight Montgomery County Sheriff’s Department received a call from one of two teens who had decided to go camping in the Sam Houston National Forest near the Lone Star trailhead off FM 149. After the two young men had parked their truck and made it into the woods, they realized the b

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                      Anybody hunting on the 59 side? I'll be hunting my girls dad's place near sheperd is not too far from the nationa forest
                      I'm up that way Gonzo

Comment

It looks like I will be strictly east side this season as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Werewolf View Post
                          Don't forget to pack a compass if you hunt deep off trail. It 's easy to get turned around out there folks.
                          I might remind people that a GPS or phone is not a viable replacement for a compass. Batteries, weather and signal strength all being non-issues with ye olde compass.

Comment

Originally posted by trophytrout1 View Post
                            I'm up that way Gonzo
                            Any get togethers on that side of the forest on opening day? I'm not sure how far new caney is from there I know a group of you guys meet up there

Comment

opening day

I don't know of one but on opening day I will probably be on a small piece of property in Richards, TX off of 149. But I would like to have a get together one wknd in October-maybe the 3rd wknd? I would say 2nd wknd but my wife has plans for us to go to Austin. I may spring a week of vacation during October but I want it to be cooler, might do it the last week?
                              Let me know and we can schedule something.

Comment

I'm just a part timer over by Sheperd, I'm still on my lease by D'hanis. But the new owner is looking to sell so it could be over soon. So I'm back looking around in the Big Sam. I've hunted a few years there now but not in the last 2 years, a west Texas lease will ruin you.I was out there yesterday looking around and saw more horse riders than the rodeo. Found a lot of hog sign even though there is no water around. It was good to be back though. If you guys have a east side get together I'm in. Good luck to you guys, Kevin

Comment

Working...
                                X