Hagerman Deer Hunt drawing- hunters input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hagerman Deer Hunt drawing- hunters input

The below will be coming out from the Hagerman staff, if your on the Friends of Hagerman email list you'll probably see it again. Respond to Ms. Whaley, and keep the thread active. Maybe voice some opinions on the thread, just do't get it deleted.

Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge is considering adopting a new preference point system for the archery deer hunt beginning in 2014. The purpose of the proposed change is to provide unsuccessful applicants from the previous year(s) with a better chance of being selected for the hunt. If you have comments on the proposal please call the refuge at (903) 786-2826 or send an email to the Refuge Manager kathy_whaley@fws.gov by September 1, 2013.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal:

· - All applicants will be grouped by the number of preference points they have accumulated.

· - 75% of the permits (169) will go to hunters with the highest number of points.

· - 25% of the permits (56) will be issued by random draw from all remaining. applications, without respect to preference points. This ensures that all applicants have some chance of drawing a permit each year they apply.

· - Drawn applicants will lose their preference points whether they choose to participate in the hunt or choose not to.

· - You must apply each year to earn and maintain your preference points.

· - There is no maximum number of preference points an applicant can accumulate

So, will this do away with the doe or 2 hogs "get a free pass"? And if not, what portion of the percentage (75 or 25) will the doe/hog passes come from?

And what number range will be used to determine the base range on the %75 group? 2 points and up? 5 points and up?

What is the lowest number in that range? How will that number be determined? Will it change from year to year?

I like the idea of an out side entity doing the drawing. But I'm wondering what equation will come out of this now . And if I can predict the year I will most likely get drawn next, should we go to something more complex .

Comment

The doe pass should still be in there. Sad they have to change things cuz a few people were griping. I got drawn though

Comment

Can't they just do away with preference points all together??? Make it random every year.

Comment

TG, I don't have the answers. Best would be to send your concerns to Ms. Whaley or take it up this weekend.

I did raise the doe/2 hogs, shouldn't impact that long-standing pass.

I predict the next year you are drawn- next year automatic!

Comment

Pickles, send it to Ms. Whaley. And I don't disagree with it, I do want the drawing and/or points to be transparent.

Comment

And, I'll get P&Y out of this thread after 7 years of TBH.

Comment

My only thing would be to make someway you can just get a preference point. Say one year you can't hunt due to prior obligations. If you put in and draw you lose all your points and if you don't put in you lose all your points. It would suck to put in and pray not to draw but then get drawn for a great hunt, not be able to go, and lose all accumulated preference points.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                  The below will be coming out from the Hagerman staff, if your on the Friends of Hagerman email list you'll probably see it again. Respond to Ms. Whaley, and keep the thread active. Maybe voice some opinions on the thread, just do't get it deleted.

Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge is considering adopting a new preference point system for the archery deer hunt beginning in 2014. The purpose of the proposed change is to provide unsuccessful applicants from the previous year(s) with a better chance of being selected for the hunt. If you have comments on the proposal please call the refuge at (903) 786-2826 or send an email to the Refuge Manager kathy_whaley@fws.gov by September 1, 2013.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal:

· - All applicants will be grouped by the number of preference points they have accumulated.

· - 75% of the permits (169) will go to hunters with the highest number of points.

· - 25% of the permits (56) will be issued by random draw from all remaining. applications, without respect to preference points. This ensures that all applicants have some chance of drawing a permit each year they apply.

· - Drawn applicants will lose their preference points whether they choose to participate in the hunt or choose not to.

· - You must apply each year to earn and maintain your preference points.

· - There is no maximum number of preference points an applicant can accumulate
                  I quit applying for Hagerman...never got drawn. This system MAY make it more fair, I dont really know. Rumor has it some hunters were getting preference over others...I hope this was just a rumor but was the reason I quit applying, didnt complain to anyone, just stepped away from it.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                    I quit applying for Hagerman...never got drawn. This system MAY make it more fair, I dont really know. Rumor has it some hunters were getting preference over others...I hope this was just a rumor but was the reason I quit applying, didnt complain to anyone, just stepped away from it.
                    chananigans? i don't know either way.

do know this, drawings by their nature aren't "fair" if they were i would have gotten better news this year. LOL

Comment

Yeah, it was five years between the first time and the second time I got drawn but I don't think it is anything but the luck of the draw.

Comment

I thought they already had a preference point system??

Comment

Points have been awarded since the 2010 drawing. This would be your chance to put your 2 cents into it. I look at it this way, if you don't send anything in- you can't gripe about the outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                            And, I'll get P&Y out of this thread after 7 years of TBH.
                            Date of Birth
                            September 4, 1964 (48)
                            Total Posts

Looks like you've got a long way to go. Better get to post-n

Comment

If I'd have posted all that I typed, I'd already be there. Usually halfway through the post I realize it's better if I just hit the back button.

TTT.

Comment

Working...
                              X