No announcement yet.

after the kill then what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thats a great set up coach, I'll give ya a call when I am out in the woods.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
      thats a great set up coach, I'll give ya a call when I am out in the woods.
      Lol... It won't go 2 miles out in the woods with out a nice road to follow.

I ain't one of those "mountain men" im hearing about.

Comment

Coach, that's a big hog!!!

Comment

this
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bughunter View Post
            this
            So when are you gong to build me one Tom?

Comment

Moocher

Comment

Originally posted by bughunter View Post
                Moocher
                Hey, hey, hey!!! My name is not Kevin!!!

Comment

Yes, you can quarter a deer and carry them out on the Sam Houston NF, just like PineyWoodsBow mentioned earlier. I bought a Seabag at the Military Surplus, to pack them out. I also keep a game cart and a Deer Sleigh'r (slick material to drag them out on) locked in the truck. Distance and terrain depends on which I choose to use.

IDK if you have done any scouting in the Sam yet but there are a bunch of dead trees and limbs on the ground due to the drought. A game cart wont allways be the best tool for the job. If I drop a critter a couple of miles in, then I'm going to quarter it and pack it out everytime. If I can get to it with the cart, then I will go with that...you get the idea.

I cool the meat as quick as possible. I just keep a cooler in the truck and head to a convience store. This is normally a 10-15 minute drive to get ice. Worked really well so far.

There are quite a few of us on here that hunt the Sam. The SHNF thread isn't really active right now but give it another month or so and the new thread will show up. Lot's of info to be learned there. Introduce yourself and I wouldn't be surprised if someone comes and helps you retrieve your critter out of the woods! Wouldn't be the first time.

Comment

I have hunted National forest all my life quite successfully so I may be able to help. FIRST- I would find a friend to partner with. Too much can go wrong 2 miles into the woods alone. Besides, sharing the hunt is half the fun. When you get one down, an extra man is golden.

Second- You CAN quarter in the SHNF but I never do. Field dress, get help, and drag him out, The carts are useless in all those logs, stumps and briars. You will spend more time picking the cart up than moving the deer.

Carry a sharp knife, a GOOD light, and toilet paper. That's multi use stuff. Great for marking a trail and it will degrade and be gone. Pull off pieces and drape over branches and it can be seen long distances when returning to a dead deer. It can also be used to stop bleeding in some cases like a serious cut while field dressing a deer.

In the fall, the meat will be fine. take your time and enjoy your success!

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                      Coach, that's a big hog!!!
                      Yes sir my biggest bow kill to date. 100 grain muzzy smoked him! As I type I'm actually setting a few hundred yards from where i shot him looking for his brother.

Now back to the mountain men.

Comment

if you're really gonna be hunting more than a couple miles in you gotta quarter it and get the meat off the carcass so it can cool much faster. have you ever done the gutless method of quartering a deer??? have a good frame pack, some game bags and some sort of tarp to lay the meat/quarters on while you are working. If you want an instructional on the gutless method then go to elk101.com and there is a pretty good video.

Comment

take everything with a grain of salt you get your own method built up after a while. I can bet you will take too much and not enough the first few times haha at least I did. I took a ton in the woods and always thought I needed something else. I do most of my walk hunting in WV I carry my weapon, a case trapper knife, a light compass and a magnesium fire starter and whatever food and drink I need for my trip. I have done a few 14 hour hikes with a rifle coming down off the mountain I hunt was walking when the sun came up and walking when it went down and all I carried were the said items and a topo of the area. now that being said I know where I am most of the time its hard to get really lost where I do these walking hunts and I feel safe and prepared with those items. I lot of guys would carry more some less to each his own you've got to get out there and figure out what you need for your style. welcome to the brotherhood

Comment

Originally posted by TMiddleton View Post
                            Yes, you can quarter a deer and carry them out on the Sam Houston NF, just like PineyWoodsBow mentioned earlier. I bought a Seabag at the Military Surplus, to pack them out. I also keep a game cart and a Deer Sleigh'r (slick material to drag them out on) locked in the truck. Distance and terrain depends on which I choose to use.

IDK if you have done any scouting in the Sam yet but there are a bunch of dead trees and limbs on the ground due to the drought. A game cart wont allways be the best tool for the job. If I drop a critter a couple of miles in, then I'm going to quarter it and pack it out everytime. If I can get to it with the cart, then I will go with that...you get the idea.

I cool the meat as quick as possible. I just keep a cooler in the truck and head to a convience store. This is normally a 10-15 minute drive to get ice. Worked really well so far.

There are quite a few of us on here that hunt the Sam. The SHNF thread isn't really active right now but give it another month or so and the new thread will show up. Lot's of info to be learned there. Introduce yourself and I wouldn't be surprised if someone comes and helps you retrieve your critter out of the woods! Wouldn't be the first time.
                            ya I have read thru the whole SHNF thread...lots of good info and people here. I have posted a couple of comments and have notice that the guys do help each other out and met up for lunch. Hope to meet some of them this year.
                            Its nice and warm near this brotherhood fire. And couch," I'll keep an eye out for a nearby road"

Comment

if your going to hike out with the meat in the trash bags. use the unscented trash bags because scented ones will make the meat taste bad.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckdeerhunter View Post
                                if your going to hike out with the meat in the trash bags. use the unscented trash bags because scented ones will make the meat taste bad.
                                think I will go with pillow cases from what I have been hearing.

Comment

Working...
                                X