after the kill then what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The General View Post
    Let it roll off your shoulders bro, everybody is a beginner at one point. Plenty of folks will help answer your questions along the way
    Originally posted by Hart8 View Post
    That plastic sled looks like the way to go.
    Don't sweat the negative comments.He evidently has seen your mt.man skills.I think building a house in the desert with nothing but materials the terrain gave you puts you at the top of that list!
    You gotta post a pic of that house,for those who might a missed it.
    here you go hart:

the beginning: starting the slab

first shade area and fire pit

I lived there for a year without any walls.

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
      Google this: Deer Sleigh'r Transport Sled

Easiest way to drag a deer out of the woods.

Comment

When we hunted public land we built a lean-to and put wheels on the front of the platform outside out the ladder. I would flip it over, using the ladder as a handle, and pull it all over the place. When I shot something the platform and ladder made a great game cart for the trip out. Hope it makes since. Pretty much added wheels where platform and ladder meet to make a portable 12' stand/ game cart...

Comment

Originally posted by c14smalls View Post
          When we hunted public land we built a lean-to and put wheels on the front of the platform outside out the ladder. I would flip it over, using the ladder as a handle, and pull it all over the place. When I shot something the platform and ladder made a great game cart for the trip out. Hope it makes since. Pretty much added wheels where platform and ladder meet to make a portable 12' stand/ game cart...
          Sounds like what I am looking for, a portable stand. Do you have a picture of it? Thx.

Comment

I wasnt calling you out bro just simply stateing exactly what DENOWT said in another way... dont go in over your head to soon. Its all fun getting out there walking spot and stalk hunting for miles but when you do kill something its a whole new ball game packing it out.... we do this mule deer hunting in west texas... it aint easy packing 250lbs of mule deer out!

Comment

Originally posted by ducks-and-bucks View Post
              I wasnt calling you out bro just simply stateing exactly what DENOWT said in another way... dont go in over your head to soon. Its all fun getting out there walking spot and stalk hunting for miles but when you do kill something its a whole new ball game packing it out.... we do this mule deer hunting in west texas... it aint easy packing 250lbs of mule deer out!
              all is cool duck and bucks, I just would like to keep my man card in hand. "mountain man w/o man part down" kinda hurt

Comment

Lots of good info, DesertDug !! After a couple of deer on the ground, you will have it down to a science !!!

Comment

ONe of these and a game cart

Comment

I use my game cart everytime. I hunt about 1.2 miles in. I strap my climbing stand and backpack on it and take off. To me it's easier to drag the cart than worry about packing it all in on my back.

Comment

Sorry no pics it's permanently in a tree at our lease right now... If you want I can send you a sketch of it. Basically take a lean-to and put wheel at the front edge of the platform. You can take almost any lean-to and figure out a way to mount some wheels. If you want help figuring it out PM me and I'll do what I can.

Comment

Viva Terlingua!

Comment

what kinda public land you looking to hunt? west texas and east texas are WAY different.
                          never hunted east texas, just west and NM and several other western states.
                          we used to skin and quarter everything and pack it out. now we go out and meet some local fellas at a beer joint, feed store, etc and hire packing out on horses. also have called the local HS football coach and hired some teenagers!!
                          also if you use trash bags, never use the black ones, they have a poison in them to keep out bugs and it can taint your meat. use pillow cases or cheese cloth sacks preferably.
                          also, if its cool, say below 50 all the time, we have had deer off ice hanging for 3-4days.

Comment

Clicky clicky on this here thread

Four items you need:
                            game bags
                            good headlamp (evening hunts)
                            havalon piranta knife(I used a small 2 " caping knife on this buck and nothing else)
                            Good pack ( I use the HornHunter Full Curl System)

That's it! You don't need gloves, hatchets, saws, blah blah blah

I am allowed to bone out here, but since you won't be able to, just quarter the deer, cut out all the scraps you can, and go. 1 mile or 2 on flat land isn't a biggie, so having bones with you is alright.

Make sure you hang the full bags as you go to cool off the meat if you are going to have the meat in a backpack. Doesn't take more than an hour from start to finish.

Comment

Originally posted by c14smalls View Post
                              Sorry no pics it's permanently in a tree at our lease right now... If you want I can send you a sketch of it. Basically take a lean-to and put wheel at the front edge of the platform. You can take almost any lean-to and figure out a way to mount some wheels. If you want help figuring it out PM me and I'll do what I can.
                              Your description is clear enough. Thanks.

Comment

Wow you guys work too hard... Hats off to you.

On a big pig, i go back, get the truck, back up to it, and then use the pulley system to get it in the truck... Drive back to camp youth the water and lights on and clean that bad boy up.

One thing i do prefer to have: Latex gloves.

The easy way:
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X