Year Round Hunting at San Angelo SP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Year Round Hunting at San Angelo SP

I just finished speaking with the director at San Angelo State Park (Kurt Kemp) about opening the Angelo WMA to bowhunting for feral hogs after deer season and he was all for it. As of right now, the park doesn't have a lot of feral hogs which is a good thing. However, in the last few years they've been starting to show up in small numbers and we (the LSBA) think it's in the park's best interest to keep the hunting pressure on them as high as possible to try and keep them out as long as possible. Kurt agrees and fully supports the change.

Unfortunately we missed the deadline for submitting this to TPWD for their Annual Public Hunting Permit so this is not likely to start until the 2014/2015 hunting season. I'll be reminding Kurt about this in the spring. You guys do me a favor and stay on me so I don't forget either. In the meantime, if you go to the WMA or the State Park, please mention your support for this hunt and your appreciation for Kurt's willingness to add it. Thanks.

Pablo Davila
    LSBA Interim Editor &
    Region 79 Representative

I run into Kurt occasionally when I mountain bike out there. He and Pat bales are a couple of pretty good guys. Not sure how the mesquite reclamation is going to affect the deer hunting. It looks bad out there right now.

Comment

Just looked at the public draw book and there are no drawn deer hunts at San Angelo SP this year. Have either of y'all talked to them about the bow hunting with the APH. That was most of my hunting last year with my kids going to ASU up there. Was going to call up there Monday to find out.

Comment

I spoke with Kurt at the end of the season last year and he mentioned the possibility of no gun hunts this year because of low deer counts when they did their arial survey. He said that it wouldnt affect bow hunters because of the low harvest rate. He also mentioned they may extend the bow hunting into the regular season with no gun hunts. I havent spoken to anyone out there about this season lately but I plan to if I run into Kurt or Pat soon. I am not getting my hopes up but it would be nice if they extend. My only concern is it may get overcrowded if the word gets out.

Comment

Spoke with Pat and they are extending bow. He told me Oct 12 to Dec 14. Only gun hunts are 2 mentored hunts like they started last year for handicap kids.

Comment

That will be nice. May get to hunt some actual cool weather this year. Just about cooked in a ground blind in oct. last year.

Comment

would really like too see this happen there are alot of pigs in that state park now i have pics of 20 to 25 pigs a night on corn out there over last 3 years in 4 different areas and have a small peice of land out in the middle of state park and it has pigs now too first ever this year on there
              Attached Files

Comment

more pics
                Attached Files

Comment

Does the Concho river have enough water to use a kayak in the hunting area?

Comment

Originally posted by thedirtybuck View Post
                    Does the Concho river have enough water to use a kayak in the hunting area?
                    No. I've seen water in it one time and that was after we had a bunch of rain over 2/3 days. And it only held the water maybe 3 weeks. I haven't been out to the river in awhile but I'm purdy sure it's bone dry.

Comment

No there is only water in the deep holes on the very of area 7

Comment

Working...
                      X