Treestands on Public Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Treestands on Public Land

Since I'm new to the public land hunting thing I'm curious as to how you guys hunt with treestands. When do you set them up? I know some places have limits such as 72 hours to setup and retrieve. Would it just be easier to buy a climbing stand and backpack it in? Also how do you pick where to setup? I've been way too spoiled with having a lease and my brain is ceasing to function on the thought process.

You cant use anything that will damage the tree on public land i.e. nails, screw in steps etc. You will either need a set of climbing sticks or a climber stand. Climber stand is convenient as long as you have a good tree. As for the spot, your preseason scouting should dictate that. Hope that helps. Happy hunting!

Comment

I use a 12' lightweight ladder stand w wheels on it. It's not bad rolling in/out, very easy to set up & safe. Has also doubled as a game cart before

Comment

Originally posted by basscast View Post
        I use a 12' lightweight ladder stand w wheels on it. It's not bad rolling in/out, very easy to set up & safe. Has also doubled as a game cart before
        Wheels !! what a great idea. This sounds like a good set up !

Comment

I currently have a 15' ladder stand and it is not lightweight. A friend of mine has a climbing stand but to be honest I don't know that I trust those. Just seems sketchy to me. May have to break down and get one though.

Comment

If you get a climber you have to find a almost perfectly straight tree I got rid of mine bought a light hang on with aluminum sticks

Comment

Originally posted by El suave View Post
              If you get a climber you have to find a almost perfectly straight tree I got rid of mine bought a light hang on with aluminum sticks
              I was a bit skeptical of climbers too until I got one. Its very stable and super easy to use. Like El Suave said though you need a straight tree which can limit your options.

Comment

I'll hook you up.... http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=364963

Straight (ish) trees can be a challenge, but not so much as finding them where you need them. That dual criteria is even more challenging with a bow, and more than a few times, I find the right tree/location, but the surrounding canopy is a problem. I'm selling (attempting to) mine because I find I prefer to move more and farther than I like to carry it.

Comment

watch out ive had mine stole twice before

Comment

I see you hunt in Lamar Co., where 95% of the land surronding Pat Mayse lake is Corp land, and not subject to WMA rules.

Comment

I leave mine in the woods but not in the tree....cover with leaves and brush. I am so far back in there that you would have to be really needing a stand to drag it out of there and risk me catching you in the woods where no one can hear you scream....LOL

Comment

how about pop up blinds?

Comment

I use a climber. I drive up Friday after work. Before I get to the cabin I pack my stand into the woods and chain it to my tree and cover it in branches and leaves. Then after the last hunt on Sunday I pack it out.

Comment

hang-on and climbing sticks or rails for me. Easy in and out, doesn't damage the trees, and I don't need a straight tree.

Comment

This is also my first yea public hunting but a guy at the archery range told me about the wheels on your ladder stand picture it like a horse and buggy you can truck your gear in and your deer out. I found a adults bicycle sitting out in the trash I brought it home took the wheels and then sit the frame out in my trash the next week, I think these are going to maneuver nicely I also added slime to them for added use, I just don't think 4 wheeler tires or garden tractor tires would work for turning between trees just what I was thinking when I built mine. The tires sit on a bolt on each side with a wing nut on them for quick removal if they interfere with the tree placement.

Comment

Working...
                              X