Scouting LBJ for Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rickzilla4645 View Post
    We found a whole bunch of tracks the last weekend of deer season...I would be more than happy to tell you where but to descibe how to find it would be very hard to do here...we also saw several large groups of birds just off of the road on a couple of the southern units...unfortunately at this time I am booked 24/7 with work...looks like this sport will have to wait I would really like to try my hand at it....good luck guys
    Thanks Rickzilla...I saw some birds late in deer season off the road too. Might have been in the same area since I saw them there more than once. Don't know how much they move around from winter to spring up there but being in the right place seems to be half the battle. I guess that's why its called "fair chase"

Comment

Went up to the Grasslands in the middle of the week and checked out four units that I have been scouting. Found some tracks and sign, but no turkeys. While driving the roads, we found a gobbler, a jake and four hens walking up a hill on private land. After screeching to a stop and confirming on the map, all we could do was watch and play with our calls.

Comment

Play with your what?!?! This is a family show. JK. Anyone heading up there this weekend? Did the birds talk much last weekend? I stopped going opening weekend about 3 or 4 years ago, due to the ridiculous #'s of people. It sure is fun to hear them sound off though.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
          There are no turkeys at LBJ!!!
          Well there was one.Called in this Tom opening day about an hour before dark for my wife.It was her second turkey.He came to my mouth call from prolly a thousand yards away or more.Running and strutting.I called him in on section. . .YEAH RIGHT.
          Hes a little wet from the swim he took after he rolled down the creek bed and into the water.

Comment

Killer Cuzin8, I know right where that is , I recognize those two trees right behind her, no reason to go up there now , that must have been the last one

Comment

Well, my plans have been changed for me! lol Looks like I'm gonna have my little guy this week. He's 4. And not very condusive to turkey hunting!! He's kinda noisy. But we may go on up there and camp and have a little fun.

Comment

Three down this afternoon. Heres the story and LDPs http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...751#post595751

Comment

Originally posted by TBryan View Post
                  Three down this afternoon. Heres the story and LDPs http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...751#post595751
                  CONGRATS Travis!!!

Comment

That's a killer deal there fellas...way to go and congrats

Comment

Wet bird, dead bird... It's all the same. GOOD! Congrats.

Comment

Anyone put the smack down on any longbeards lately at LBJ? There's only like 2 turkeys left, but just curious if anyone has run across them? Was there any major damage to the grounds(flooding, etc.) after the big storms? Hope all is well w/ everyone.

Comment

I was up there yesterday. Saw a couple of hens with a jake. The wind was howlin' so not ideal hunting weather. My son and I went to a couple of spots where I had heard some gobblers a couple of weeks ago. Called quite a bit (wind) but did not hear a single response. I think the front coming in yesterday had something to do with too but it was really quiet. As far as damage, I did not see any. Just didn't see anything worth taking home. I am going to find those other two...need freezer meat.

Comment

I think I heard the two you are speaking about, I had turkey around me before day light but nothing came in. I saw some birds (nice toms) about 300 yards out, a little far for a shotgun but it was nice to see. Had one bird and hen about 60 yards from me but when I tried to show my brother them, they saw him and took off. Seen several groups of birds on private land but could not pull them off their safe haven. Like Byron said too dang windy.

Comment

Went this afternoon and saw one hen on private land. Also saw 8 deer.

Comment

Originally posted by TBryan View Post
                                Went this afternoon and saw one hen on private land. Also saw 8 deer.
                                I have seen more deer than turkey this spring. In fact I have seen 6 in two trips, go figure. I guess the opposite will happen come November???
                                Thanks again TBryan for giving me directions a couple of weeks ago, I went straight to it and found a couple of nice spots. That 3 bird deal was pretty cool, congrats.
                                I am going to try again this weekend. I like everyone else, see the birds on private land and can't get them to come in to shotgun range but I will leave the 22 in the closet.
                                If anyone has any luck or finds out where the birds seem to have moved to since the storms last week let a brother know, I'll do the same.

Comment

Working...
                                X