how late in the season would you still take a hog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how late in the season would you still take a hog

well springs around the corner and im still hooked on hog hunting,my question is how hot can it get and still be able to get a hog out of the woods before the meat would spoil??

Depends on how fast you can get to it and get it gutted.

You aren't going to have much luck during the heat of the day anyways as they will be laid up. So before it get's too hot and after the sun dips in the sky and the temp drops you have decent time to recover a hog.

Comment

just go kill em

Comment

Kill them and gut them. Get the hide off and Quarter and put on ice!

Comment

yep i kill them all year long and just get them cleaned quick and put on ice.

Comment

I will be hunting them all year. I have also seen many moving in the middle of the day going right to wallows. In the summer they will bed very close to the water and last year I saw them at all times of day goin to cool off.

Comment

just kill'em

Comment

i only kill what i eat so i want to make sure the meet will stay good,in granger it could possibly be an hour or two before i could get back to the truck you think the meet would still be good even in summertime??

Comment

It should be ok but if it was going to be an hour or longer and it was over 50 I would field dress it so it could start cooling. The quicker you can cool down meat after a kill the better it will taste.

Comment

I havent had any luck hog hunting this year around the DFW area.

Comment

quickstrike, go down on lower Greenville Ave. i saw several walkin the streets

Comment

quickstrike you just said you took a hog on ray roberts. ***?

Comment

Oh boy, here we go again!

Comment

I'm thinking about killing a pig that will go around 50 lbs. They sure are tender on the smoker!

Comment

Paintman putting them in the creek and hauling them to your ice might help also. Gut and skin quickly. Best of luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X