Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your biggest frustration of public hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your biggest frustration of public hunting?

Showing up to a scouted spot and finding someone else there? Setting up at a good spot and then someone else setting up nearby? Or when you find a spot that looks good, finding beer cans spread out all around the ground after you climb up? Feel free to vent.

why, you just eliminated the obviously wrong spots.

Comment

Taking someone to public land, helping them get set up and then they take it over like it is their own. Bet that won't happen again!

Comment

Set up and hand feed a spot for quite a long time, then deer gets patterned. Decide to go finally. When arrive the spot at dark in the morning, find a bloody pool right at where the corn is. <G>Someone took the deer last night!

Comment

"hand feed" a spot? What?

My biggest frustration is poorly maintained public hunting areas. Parking areas, roads and trails not mowed, signs/regulations not maintained, registration boxes not maintained, etc. This isn't that hard to do and doesn't take that much time. It's just one of those, "out of sight, out of mind" things they have to stay on top of. Or, ask for volunteers to do it for them, since many of us would.

Other hunters? Nope. I always have plenty of spots scouted out, and even if I don't, I enjoy the process of locating new spots anyway. And to this date, I've never had another hunter set up in one of my spots. Ever. Guess that's the advantage of knowing an area and not using any flagging or trail tacks

People using our public hunting areas as their personal dumps really gripes me too, but there's just not much you can do about that.

John

Comment

Okay, thinking about the post above, another frustration is people NOT following the rules, or even learning the rules. It makes us all look bad and jeapordizes our use of these areas.

John

Comment

double post

Comment

This thread deserves a story. I have killed some monsters out of the DCNF. I have secret spots that produce year after year.

A few years a go I had a friend help me with some projects so I agreed to put him on a deer. Well I took him to one of my super secret spots that always produced. The day before season I walked him in and showed him the tree I climbed. He was afraid he couldnt find it as i NEVER mark trails so he put up glow tacks. He ended up killing a nice deer that year and took a promotion on his job in another state. fast forward to the next year.

Opening morning, i got there way before daylight and was surprised to see a vehicle already parked where i park. No worries...it is a long walk to my spot and that guy could have gone any direction. I sneaked all the way in with no light and got to my tree, turned a tiny light on to get the stand on the tree and a guy whistled up in my tree! OF all the millions of trees he was in the one i planned to climb. Oh well, i had another good spot a few miles away and took off to it. I stuck a nice buck and was trailing him when my ph buzzed with a number i didnt know. I answered and the guy introduced himself as a friend of my friend. Said he was hunting the DCNF for the first time and had just stuck a big buck. He said he didnt know anything about the woods and was afraid he would get lost trailing it and my "Friend" had given him my number in case he had any trouble.

I told him i would be glad to help him but i was tied up at the moment and asked where he was. BINGO! He was the guy in my tree! Turns out he was mY "Friends" boss and had been given directions to drive several hours here and find a trail of glow tacks to the tree he should climb!

He just couldnt believe how good the hunting was here!
                Last edited by GarGuy; 12-11-2012, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                  This thread deserves a story. I have killed some monsters out of the DCNF. I have secret spots that produce year after year.

A few years a go I had a friend help me with some projects so I agreed to put him on a deer. Well I took him to one of my super secret spots that always produced. The day before season I walked him in and showed him the tree I climbed. He was afraid he couldnt find it as i NEVER mark trails so he put up glow tacks. He ended up killing a nice deer that year and took a promotion on his job in another state. fast forward to the next year.

Opening morning, i got there way before daylight and was surprised to see a vehicle already parked where i park. No worries...it is a long walk to my spot and that guy could have gone any direction. I sneaked all the way in with no light and got to my tree, turned a tiny light on to get the stand on the tree and a guy whistled up in my tree! OF all the millions of trees he was in the one i planned to climb. Oh well, i had another good spot a few miles away and took off to it. I stuck a nice buck and was trailing him when my ph buzzed with a number i didnt know. I answered and the guy introduced himself as a friend of my friend. Said he was hunting the DCNF for the first time and had just stuck a big buck. He said he didnt know anything about the woods and was afraid he would get lost trailing it and my "Friend" had given him my number in case he had any trouble.

I told him i would be glad to help him but i was tied up at the moment and asked where he was. BINGO! He was the guy in my tree! Turns out he was mY "Friends" boss and had been given directions to drive several hours here and find a trail of glow tacks to the tree he should climb!

Ya this would **** me right off

Comment

Not having my OWN spot to go! I don't like to share and I don't play well with others taking my spot! Lol so I just don't hunt public, but then sucks cuz I dent have a lease right now so.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post

call someplace paradice and kiss it goodby

Comment

The "Wild West" guys shooting anything that moves. They usually carry an AR, or some other high capacity, marginal deer rifle, extra mags, and of course a sidearm, with extra mags. Usually in a group, trying to kick up bedded deer. Something brown moves, and everybody opens up, playing "skeet deer".

Or the guys that sees you, and then walks 100 yards upwind and sets up a blind.

The guys out there setting up target ranges, blasting rounds during hunting hours.

I could go on and on. Instead, I just quit hunting public land.

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
                          "hand feed" a spot? What?

John
                          I just started deer hunt during that time, I don't use feeder. So visited the spot twice a week to hand spread the corn. To be surprised, it worked very well. I got lots of deer visit my spot, but unfortunately, I cannot hunt a lots in that season. I took one friend to that spot, he shot 2 or 3 deer and I shot one. Plus, the one shot by a unknown.
                          These years, I quit the "hand feed". It draws deer in but can hardly pattern them. So a feeder is much friendly for a "lazy man" like me.

Comment

Well I took him to one of my super secret spots that always produced.
                            I had a spot like that in Illinois. Nobody, not even my closest hunting buddies, knew about it until I moved away. A few days before I left Illinois, I took ONE of my buddies to that spot - the only one I knew who would appreciate it and not give it up.

cy100, feeding deer is usually illegal on public lands FYI.

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
                              cy100, feeding deer is usually illegal on public lands FYI.
                              That is not true in Texas. Depends on where you hunt.

Comment

Working...
                              X