No announcement yet.

More public land rookies this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may just go on a few paid hunts a year for turkey/exotics/pigs and get my deer off public land. =P

Comment

i'm tryin to do everything public this year exotics also. its think it has to do with the thrill of the chase of tough to hunt animals. it makes it sporting and makes you thankful for anything you get.

Comment

Originally posted by pparks View Post
        i'm tryin to do everything public this year exotics also. its think it has to do with the thrill of the chase of tough to hunt animals. it makes it sporting and makes you thankful for anything you get.
        where can you get exotics on public?

If I go after turkeys its a 1 weekend thing for me out of the year, exotics would be the same thing. Pigs are cheap and id like to go at night hence a paid trip. I work far to much to be able to afford the possibility of my only 2 days of the year not even seeing something for those animals.

Deer on the other hand.. I will tough it out and give them every day I can through the season.

I am especially looking forward to hunting alazan this year after gun season starts. Got a new boat on the way so I can try out that float in only section. =P
        Last edited by roguecraft101; 10-10-2012, 01:11 PM.

Comment

None around me. I was just referring to the fact that I enjoy bow hunting exotics. That is the only time I really enjoy hunting a feeder.

Comment

Originally posted by flashof1979 View Post
            None around me. I was just referring to the fact that I enjoy bow hunting exotics. That is the only time I really enjoy hunting a feeder.
            Yeah I would love to go take a nice exotic I think thats worth the money. =P

Comment

Some of the TPWD draw hunts feature exotics. Amistad NRA has exotics and is bowhunting only for big game. Some would still consider feral pigs "exotic." ha, ha.

I'd feel pretty good about taking an exotic off public land. They don't belong there in the first place.

John

Comment

yeah i agree but there are a couple places that you can hunt atleast aoudad with the bow ima try it if it doesn't work out i guess i'll be a paying customer. for the hogs my bil is a farmer and we hunt them all the time. I got a ar-15 in 6.8 with a nv scope it does wonders for 'em

Comment

Originally posted by pparks View Post
                  yeah i agree but there are a couple places that you can hunt atleast aoudad with the bow ima try it if it doesn't work out i guess i'll be a paying customer. for the hogs my bil is a farmer and we hunt them all the time. I got a ar-15 in 6.8 with a nv scope it does wonders for 'em
                  Never heard of that bow?

Comment

Another public land rookie chiming in. As I missed the drawing for deer hunting at Granger, my focus is on hogs and squirrels. I went down yesterday to look at the area for the first time and now I'm pretty stoked, but I have some concerns when it comes to those who are deer hunting til Jan. 6. I don't want to mess up anyone's hunt by doing spot/stalk hunting, or by still hunting trying to scout/locate hogs. I realize that this is the nature of public land hunting, but it's just the way I roll.

I guess my questions come from ignorance, but are there better places to hunt hogs there where I won't be so apt to mess with someone's deer hunt? Also, I've never hunted where I had to wear safety orange as I'm strictly a trad bowhunter, and I know deer see Flo Org in shades of grey....how 'bout hogs?

Comment

I think you'll be okay with the orange on hogs. I've never heard that they can see color any better than deer can. Maybe they can, but I'm not aware of it.

Spot and stalk for hogs is very fun and a great way to bowhunt. I've done it many times, but usually only after the deer season is over since during the season, I'm hunting deer.

I guess you'll just have to take your chances on screwing up someone's deer hunt. Obviously, I wouldn't park in a crowded parking lot and then spend the evening still hunting in that area. That's a recipe for a fight. Just use your common sense and you should be fine. Also, hogs are not going to be far from water. Not necessarily true for deer, so if you concentrate on the shorelines or water holes, you should increase your odds.

John

Comment

Thanks for your help John. I had planned on finding a place where the hogs were active and then finding a good ambush spot. Sounds like I need to just pick several good spots and then when I head that way, find a spot without anybody else being active and hunting that. Most of my hunting will be weekday afternoons, as I'd imagine the weekends will see lots of deer hunting activity.

Comment

Ah, you should be okay then.

Go find any water hole or the shoreline of the lake and look for fresh rooting. Then sit downwind of it and wait until about sunset...

John

Comment

This is my first year to hunt public. I put in for the Benbrook COE lottery and was fortunate enough to get drawn.

I have always had a deer lease and probably will always have one. This is the first year I really have had any interest to hunt public. I have been scouting out there atleast once a week since March so I am pretty excited.

Comment

Good luck Jeremy...let us know how your hunting goes.

Comment

Yea, good luck, and don't get discouraged if you're not seeing them as often as you do on your lease. Remember, it only takes one.

Comment

Working...
                                X