Matador WMA October 22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matador WMA October 22

Well Reaper and I got drawn for the October 22 mule deer archery hunt at matador. This will be our second trip up there in last 6 years or so. Anyone have any advice on units? The last time we were there the consensus was the northwestern units were probably the best. I figure we will spot and stalk in the mornings and hunt waterholes in the evenings assuming it is still pretty dry up that way. All ideas appreciated.

I would love to tell you, but I can't. But I will tell you that every time I go up there quail hunting I see a MONSTER mule deer in the exact location year after year. I am waiting for my turn to get drawn. He has let me within bow range 3-4 times with dogs. He is what you would see on the front of a magazine. He has also never run from me. He just turns and walks away. So, even though I didn't give you any information, I am letting you know that there is at least one monster up there. Good Luck.

I will let you know that all the big mule deer I see up there are on the side of the valley and bed about 1/3 from the top.

Comment

bump

Comment

If you have been there bow hunting then you know it's a tough hunt. I think you are right about the NW units. They had a big fire there the year before last I think and it burned around 11,000 acres on the West side. That may have opened up the thick stuff a little and should help the hunting.
        Spot and stalk for archery unless you can get up there way early and scout.
        Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
          I would love to tell you, but I can't. But I will tell you that every time I go up there quail hunting I see a MONSTER mule deer in the exact location year after year. I am waiting for my turn to get drawn. He has let me within bow range 3-4 times with dogs. He is what you would see on the front of a magazine. He has also never run from me. He just turns and walks away. So, even though I didn't give you any information, I am letting you know that there is at least one monster up there. Good Luck.

I will let you know that all the big mule deer I see up there are on the side of the valley and bed about 1/3 from the top.
          come on man!! spill the beans

Comment

I have also seen a monster whitetail up there. He was in a little thicket in the middle of a field.

Here is some helpful information: I have seen the most amount of mule deer in the Sampson unit. That is the NW unit. I know you have heard this from everyone. I have seen groups of them there. The location I see them at is if you take the road that runs east and west just below the Peace River, find the area where the river is the closest to the road to the east of Sand Creek. Park there and walk North. Cross all the brush, the Peace River, and climb the bluffs. Once you get to the other side, there is rolling hills with knee high grass and thin trees. I have seen lots of mule deer in there. This is not where I see the monster, so if you don't get the Sampson unit, there are still other areas. I have also glassed lots in Lone Canyon. I also saw a really nice one at the big southward dip of the Peace River in the middle of the South Middle Unit. He was in the road. From what I have seen the highest population is in the north west to north central to central of the WMA.

Good Luck.

Comment

Why wouldn't you help a fellow out???If you have seen him "Year after year" as stated he must have been mature when you 1st saw him...that would put him over th hill now...and you still haven't been drawn to hunt ...and won't have another chance till next year....sounds awfully selfish to me....just sayin......l

Comment

I dont blame the guy one bit for not giving up his secret spot. I wouldn't either. He also helped out with some very good info. When someone says that your selfish, it's usually because your not doing something they want you to do.

Comment

I have also seen a monster whitetail up there. He was in a little thicket in the middle of a field.

Here is some helpful information: I have seen the most amount of mule deer in the Sampson unit. That is the NW unit. I know you have heard this from everyone. I have seen groups of them there. The location I see them at is if you take the road that runs east and west just below the Peace River, find the area where the river is the closest to the road to the east of Sand Creek. Park there and walk North. Cross all the brush, the Peace River, and climb the bluffs. Once you get to the other side, there is rolling hills with knee high grass and thin trees. I have seen lots of mule deer in there. This is not where I see the monster, so if you don't get the Sampson unit, there are still other areas. I have also glassed lots in Lone Canyon. I also saw a really nice one at the big southward dip of the Peace River in the middle of the South Middle Unit. He was in the road. From what I have seen the highest population is in the north west to north central to central of the WMA.

Good Luck.
                  Thanks for the info. I will take whatever I can get. Its a tough hunt for sure but man it is a fun one as well.

Comment

I have only been there once on a gun hunt draw and I did hunt Sampson, so that's the only section I can comment on. But, if you can get it Sampson was a good pic. Stinkbelly's advice is good.

Comment

bump

Comment

Thanks Stinkbelly, thats good info

Comment

Great place to hunt! I've only been once (2008). I hunted near the river in the Pen tract. Saw plenty of WT and MD does. No bucks.

Comment

My avatar was shot at Matador. There are some monster bucks, but there are a LOT of mediocre bucks too. Bring some good glass because the only mulie bucks you are allowed have at least 4 points on one side. What looks like a good buck from a distance is most likely a young 3x3. In that area, they don't start branching those back forks or start growing brow tines until they get older.
                            If it helps, I shot this guy on the North Middle pasture, but he ain't there no more!

Comment

Originally posted by Palehorse View Post
                              My avatar was shot at Matador. There are some monster bucks, but there are a LOT of mediocre bucks too. Bring some good glass because the only mulie bucks you are allowed have at least 4 points on one side. What looks like a good buck from a distance is most likely a young 3x3. In that area, they don't start branching those back forks or start growing brow tines until they get older.
                              If it helps, I shot this guy on the North Middle pasture, but he ain't there no more!
                              that avatar buck is a stud, any LDPs? thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
                              X