No announcement yet.

Lake Meredith?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive never been during rifle season but Ive been told it looks like a pumpkin patch and sounds like a war zone

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Briggs View Post
      I'm new to mule deer hunting but my buddy grew up in Oregon hunting them in the canyons. I think that these deer that just appear are there the whole time you have been there, just bedded down where you cant see them, and then they will stand up and move after a while and you see them. They just appear out of nowhere.

We tried a few different things. We started at the base of the canyons, our main goal was to spot one far off and make a stalk but they are incredibly hard to spot unless they are up and moving around. When Justin had the buck within 65 yards, we had been sitting in front of a canyon for about 3 hours before he stood up and moved and rebedded. Im sure he knew we were there when we came in but after we really got still and quiet for a long time I guess he thought it was safe to get up and move around a little. Later in the hunt we climbed the canyons and still hunted the rim rocks. We never found and any deer bedded up but did spot a couple moving around on the top early in the mornings and followed them into the canyons, but they were does and we never found any bucks close to where they went. I think the midday heat really shut them down. We camped at Plum Creek and Saturday it flooded us out and we had to go back to camp to get our stuff to higher ground. Other than Saturday, we hunted daylight till dark every day. Ive got the blisters on my feet to prove it We had agreat time and are already looking forward to next year.
      Silk liner socks are the greatest invention ever with wool socks. I walked 8 miles the first day, and at least 10 miles the next day. And never had a blister start to develop. I chickened out friday night when I saw that storm rolling in. How bad did the rain get down in that canyon? I was camped in the parking lot at the ramp in the maroon f-150.

Comment

We werent at the ramp. We camped at the Lower Plum Creek camping area. IT really didnt rain that much but the wind did almost blow our tent over with us in it. There must have been a dam break or a huge rain further away from us cause the creek totally flooded. It was dry when we left that morning and between 10 and 11, our camping spot had 2 feet of water in it. Yeah on the socks, it was my boots. I should have known better. They work great for the little walking I do on the public land here by the house but Lake Meredith has some seriously rough terrain. IMO, spot and stalk mulie bowhunting at Lake Meredith has to be one of the top 5 or 6 hardest hunts in North America. I wish I could drag Chuck Adams out there to school me.

Comment

Working...
        X