No announcement yet.

Lake Amistad Public Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just recently got stationed here at Laughlin and have the opportunity to visit the lake almost any day of the week. Typically my buddy and I will set up in Area 2 at least twice a week for a few hours hoping something comes by. Since I'm new to the area I really can't judge how it used to be but it seems now that the deer are few and far between. I'm sure the further back you go, the more you will see. Generally we see maybe one or two does walk within 50 or so yards. Sometimes don't see a thing. My friend actually had a group of four come by his spot a few weeks ago and took the one up front thinking it was a doe. Once we found the deer we realized it was a little button buck. Other than that I haven't seen any other bucks but I've heard there are at least two solid 8-pointers in Area 2. It is really not all that crowded on the weekdays but I'm sure most of you have jobs or other things that keep you from making the trek save but a few times a year. We have also been to Area 5 twice in hopes of taking a ram. First time we spotted a herd of six with one ram and stalked them for about 45 min. Eventually we came up on a ridge and they were in the valley below, 45-50 yards away. Unfortunately we couldn't see them and once they spotted us they were gone. A ranger at the Visitor's Center told me there are something like 350 mouflan out there which I find very hard to believe. Maybe this weekend I'll try to get to the back of Area 5 and see if anything comes around. Happy hunting, and hope somebody pulls something nice out of here.

Comment

Not sure if the drought hasn't had some effect, or if the number of hunters has, or both. Enough pressure will just push the deer onto adjacent private lands, or lands along the lake that aren't part of the hunting areas.

In the early 90's, it was literally NOTHING to see 40-50 deer in one day when my brother and I would glass from the ridgetops. We came to expect that, and it's the reason we were willing to travel so far to hunt there.

As for the mouflon, there could be 350 on the area one day, and 35 then next. They go back and forth between the hunt areas and adjacent lands. On a good day, you'll catch a bunch on the hunt area. On a bad day, you may not see any at all. Just depends on who was there before you, what the neighbors are doing, and whether their feeders are full or not.

I tend to see more critters on the hunt areas late in the season because the neighbors have taken their deer and stopped filling up their corn feeders. Also, more folks are just staying in and not going hunting, so there's less pressure.

Bad weather is your friend too

John

Comment

only a few more days. A front is supposed to come through on Sat/Sun so hopefully everything will be moving....

350 in area 5?? That would mean one every 2 ac.

Comment

I think the 350 estimate is for all the hunt areas.

I've seen as many as 50 in area 5 before though, with another 50+ outside the hunt area on private lands.

All depends on feeders and pressure.

John

Comment

Yea I think 350 in the vicinity of the lake is a more likely estimate. Hopefully I can get one by the end of the year. They are tricky ones though...

Comment

I just looked and it said the water level is 1085' I think that’s lower than last year. So all of the hunting areas should be just a little bit bigger than last year. It’s supposed to up to 25 mph wind on Sunday so we might have to hunt one of the other areas because I don’t want to risk crossing the lake with that much wind.....

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
                I think the 350 estimate is for all the hunt areas.

I've seen as many as 50 in area 5 before though, with another 50+ outside the hunt area on private lands.

All depends on feeders and pressure.

John
                The amount of days I have spent out there, I can tell you this.

That number was very plausible for area 5 a few years back. I have video of just one herd of about 40 in the area from 2005.

Comment

well we will be packing up tonight and heading out tomorrow morning. Hopefully everything comes together and we can get across to area 4. Looks like its going to be hot and windy weekend.

Comment

Are the Mouflon still hanging around? I remember last year like 2 weeks into the season they were completely scared off..

Comment

Originally posted by Deers & Beers View Post
                      Are the Mouflon still hanging around? I remember last year like 2 weeks into the season they were completely scared off..
                      Was out in area 5 most of the morning Wednesday November 7 and did not spot a signal mouflon... I believe they are still grazing on San Pedro flats... With as low as the lake got and the rain in early October that area has a lot of grass (and no one to chase them around) A coworker has spotted them grazing the flats about a week back... The numbers are high just not going into area 5 right now... I should b out there this week again and report what I see...

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                        Was out in area 5 most of the morning Wednesday November 7 and did not spot a signal mouflon... I believe they are still grazing on San Pedro flats... With as low as the lake got and the rain in early October that area has a lot of grass (and no one to chase them around) A coworker has spotted them grazing the flats about a week back... The numbers are high just not going into area 5 right now... I should b out there this week again and report what I see...
                        Thanks! Keep us posted. I'm going in early December and plan on hunting Areas 1,3,4. I try to stay away from 5 since last time I went it felt more like deer camp than a hunt. Saw over a dozen hunters in less than an hour.

If Mouflon are being seen though I may go on a weekday and give them a shot

Comment

I'm sitting at area 4 now. Seen some deer just nothing close enough for a shot. Wind was too bad to cross the lake Sat so we headed to 5. Walked all over and never saw a deer or goat. Was going to try walk into 2 Sat evening but there was 7 trucks at the gate. We did want to mess up anyone's hunt by walking around so we went fishing. ( caught enough for supper). Had to wait until about 8 am for the wind to stop blowing this morning . Walked the back of 4. No auodads but a few deer. Came back this after noon and waiting for one to come get a drink. Lake is very low. Also saw about 200 domestic goats when we drove up Friday evening in 4.

Comment

Keep us posted Yanta. Man you should have brought my walker pup with you. I'm am hour away..

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
                              I'm sitting at area 4 now. Seen some deer just nothing close enough for a shot. Wind was too bad to cross the lake Sat so we headed to 5. Walked all over and never saw a deer or goat. Was going to try walk into 2 Sat evening but there was 7 trucks at the gate. We did want to mess up anyone's hunt by walking around so we went fishing. ( caught enough for supper). Had to wait until about 8 am for the wind to stop blowing this morning . Walked the back of 4. No auodads but a few deer. Came back this after noon and waiting for one to come get a drink. Lake is very low. Also saw about 200 domestic goats when we drove up Friday evening in 4.
                              Nice! How was the hunting pressure in Area 4 & 5?

Comment

Has anyone seen any turkeys in 2? I heard there was a small flock of about 10 hens wandering about. Bought a turkey call at Cabela's today just in case...

Comment

Working...
                                X