"Official" Somerville WMA thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Official" Somerville WMA thread

Saw we had two threads going and thought we'd just combine all the Somerville posts here instead.

Thought I'd answer this question from one of the other threads:

So have most of the people in this thread who've hunted yegua and nails actually harvested deer good does and bucks? I'm probably going to be doing some public hunting this year and somerville seems to be the only place close enough to do some archery hunting. Just wondering how good it really is.
    "good" is always relative.

Somerville produces deer every year for experienced bowhunters, and those who just plain get lucky. It's not an easy place to hunt by any means, but there are deer there. More than there were when I started hunting there 20+ years ago.

I like to go there just to get away from home and hunt public land. I get tired of seeing the same 80 acres here at home that I have permission to hunt on. BUT, nearly every piece of private land I've ever hunted gave me a better oppportunity to harvest a deer than any public land I've hunted.

That's just the way it is.

Public land like Somerville is nice because once you buy your permit and read the regulations, you're essentially done. No worrying about a lease, paying for it, no maintenance, no wondering who else is on the lease and no wondering if the deer are just on the other side of the fence where you don't have permission to go.

When we hunt public land, we know the deal and it's fair chase. No feeders and no permanent stands or blinds. To me, that's the real draw in hunting public land. Because if you take a deer there, you earned it, straight up.

I've been fortunate to have a lot of experience on the Somerville WMA now over the past 20 years and know the place like my own back yard. There are some areas where you can always count on seeing deer. There is also about 70% of the area where you'll probably never see a deer. Only way to figure it out is to do your homework. Get out there and observe, track and plan.

Keep in mind that the place will be swamped with bowhunters on opening weekend, and the following weekend. Once folks start gearing up for gun season, it thins out, and if you can get up there during the week, you might just have part of the place to yourself.

The deer are smart as any I've ever hunted. I have places in the National Forest that I ride my mountain bike into where the deer very rarely EVER see people and they are out during the day. Not so at Somerville. They sneak around early and late and mostly at night. They usually leave the area for adjacent private lands during the day, or bed down in the best possible areas for their escape from hunters.

I've also seen deer at Somerville lay in their beds and watch hunter after hunter pass by without ever moving.

They are smart.

If you get one, you've accomplished something that very few Texas hunters have ever accomplished.

John

Couple of tips.

1) Use Google Earth to find natural funnels and "pinch points" where you can set up a stand.

2) KNOW THE BOUNDARIES of the area. There is a fence all the way around the public hunting area. Usually you can see this on google earth, but in some places you can't. Get the WMA map and figure out on the photos where the boundaries are before you ever go out there.

3) Don't plan on crossing Yegua or Nails creek unless we've not had any rain in a month or more, or unless you have a large tree laid across the creek that you can find in the dark and get across in the dark safely.

4) Even on the busiest days, there will ALWAYS be places where nobody hunts that are 1/2-1 mile from the parking area. So, regardless of how many vehicles you see, don't let that discourage you if you're in good shape and are willing to walk.

5) ** IMPORTANT** There are literally 100's of reflective tacks in the trees all over the WMA's now. Don't go in there expecting to be able to get in or out by using the reflective tacks you just put up. Believe me, you will be going in circles before you ever reach the parking area. Same is true with flagging (I hate flagging and remove it every time I see it). Best plan is to know the route to and from your hunting area well enough to negotiate it in the dark. That means doing your homework, and using "tricks" to remind you when to turn left, right or go straight through the woods.

6) 90% of the sign you see was made at night. Keep that in mind. I've sat over fresh sign for days without seeing a deer in the daylight.

7) "Wandering" around the WMA with an arrow nocked as if you're about to stalk up on the buck of a lifetime is not only foolish, but will likely get your butt chewed by another hunter who has been sitting quietly on stand for hours. It is without a doubt the lowest percentage play for bowhuting thick brush, so you're just wasting your time if that's your plan for hunting the area. The deer will ALWAYS see you first. Always.

8) Mosquitoes can be bad. Bring a Thermacell, and use it if you have to.

9) Expect squirrel hunters to ruin your hunt if you don't get far enough from the parking area or major trails.

10) If the acorns are dropping, esp. from the few live oaks they have there, hunt those trees mid-day (9:00 a.m. to about 3:00).

11) Hunting mid-day can be very productive on Somerville (or any heavily used public areas) since the other hunters coming and going from their vehicles will push some deer around.

More when I think of them....

John

Comment

Oh yea,

There ARE trees at Somerville you can climb with a climbing stand. So if you have a climber, don't worry. You can usually use it. Cedar elms and water oaks in the bottoms usually work out pretty good for climbers, but they have a lot of butt swell (taper) at the bottom due to being in the flood plain, so you have to set your climber steep at first to make it level when you get to the height you plan to hunt at.

Having said that, my favorite stand is a aluminum Gorilla hang-on that weighs about 10 lbs. with the backpack straps on it. I use nylon strap-on climbing steps that go in my gear bag (day pack) that is attached to my stand. The whole thing, including water and a little food and accessories, weighs less than 18 lbs. and I can pack it in for miles if I have to. The individual steps and hang-on stand allow me to hunt just about any tree that has 2' of straight section to it. It's the most versatile public hunting combo I've come up with so far.

I love climbers because of how safe they are, but I always seem to take my hang-on stand to public land, unless I just have a really good climbable tree where I want it for that hunt.

John

Comment

Okay, enough for today. I'm heading out there now to scout!

Good luck fellas!

Comment

That's an awesome post. Thanks. See u out there soon

Comment

Whew! scouted for a few hours. All I can say is....

GIANT RAGWEED!

OMG!

A few years ago, it was bad. But this is crazy!

I wasn't 100 yards from my vehicle and was already wondering how I was going to navigate that junk in the dark! Geez!

once I finally trudged into my "old" spots, everything was pretty well what I expected, with moderate sign and some minor changes in trail routes (due mostly to the **** ragweed!)

If you stay in the trees, you'll probably be okay. but if you have to cross any openings, Lord help you.

Incidentally, when I'm scouting "old" familiar areas I plan to hang a stand, I always take care to trim eye-pokers and clear a path for my feet, at least for the last 100 yards to my stand location. That way, I can take it nice and slow in the dark and get in and out with a minimum of trouble and noise. This is also how I get to and from my stand locations in the dark without flagging or reflective tacks. I just follow the trail I made when I was scouting.

Flagging and reflective tacks are a dead giveaway for your hunting location. Best way to get walked in on IMO.

In many seasons of hunting Somerville, I've never once been walked in on at my stand locations. Because they are not marked at all.

John
            Last edited by Limbwalker; 09-21-2012, 09:34 PM.

Comment

I know what your talking about. Ragweed this yr is nothing compared to 2 seasons ago. Lord be with anyone who puts an arrow through the boiler room this yr. even with a game cart-expect a long, exhausting, sneezing, eye watering haul back.

Comment

Yea, it was bad 2 years ago for sure. But where I'm hunting, it's actually worse this year. 10' high in places.

2 years ago, I shot a nice fat doe on opening morning and had her tagged by 9:00 a.m. She laid about 3/4 mile from my car. First 1/4-mile drag through the woods wasn't bad, but man, that last 1/2 mile through the ragweed I thought would kill me. I actually thought a few times about just carrying her on my shoulders but then I figured I'd trip and fall and she'd land on me, so I just kept dragging.

On the bright side, after that drag I had a halfway decent trail through the ragweed to get to my hunting area! ha, ha.

If a person stays in the woods or in the uplands, they will be okay. It's just those bottoms (and 80% of the area is bottomland) that are full of the giant ragweed.

Bring a GPS this year if you have one, because it's going to be real easy to get turned around in that stuff. You literally can't see 20 feet in places.

John

Comment

It's getting closer. Really hope to put a nice Doe down the first few days for meat. The freezer is pretty light

Comment

Just a few days to go now! Let's pray for some cool mornings this weekend!

I didn't see a single mock scrape while I was scouting last Friday. That tells me that we just haven't had a good cool spell yet to get them going. However, back at home, I saw a small buck chasing 3 does for quite a while the other evening, and the little bucks are starting to show up dead on the highway shoulders, so it's getting close!

John
                    Last edited by Limbwalker; 09-24-2012, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Limbwalker,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at Sommerville!! I'm considering giving that WMA a try this year. I agree with you in regards to "the real deal"...no baiting and no permanent stands....keeping things simple and increasing the enjoyment

Comment

I was out there today. Gonna be a very interesting year. Plus 3 copperheads.

Comment

Yea, it's the real deal alright. If you get one with a bow at Somerville, you've outsmarted both the deer, and the other hunters!

One of the most satisfying hunts I've ever had was the first time I shot a mature doe at Somerville with my recurve. Made a perfect shot, and while I was tracking her blood trail, another bowhunter (compound) came wandering through the area mid-morning.

It was very satisfying to know that I had done my homework, scouted my spots, maded the shot when it counted, and was collecting my venison early in the season.

John

Comment

Bump for the 'villers

Comment

Rain this weekend. Gonna be very interesting. May keep some people at home.

Comment

Working...
                              X