Newb to Public Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newb to Public Hunting

Hi Fellas, While I'm not new to hunting (overall) I am new to the public lands side of it. I used to hunt as a kid with my uncles and always used their leases. Now that I'm picking it back up I dont want to take the plunge on a lease yet so I'm looking at the public lands aspect of it.

Here's my understanding. Once I purchase my hunting license I can also purchase an annual public land permit. That said, it appears that with that you get most areas but not all. From what I can gather, there are specific areas that are done by lottery. How is the lottery held is my question? Is it everyone that enters per year has an equal chance? Or, do those that carried the permit from the previous year take precedence over the newbs?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated...

It is my understanding that every year you apply, but do not win you acquire points essentially. Eventually your card gets picked, but it may take a while. I may be wrong on this though

Comment

Not to sure on the lottery but if your ever wanting to get together I can show you a couple spots on a wma near your neck of the woods and we can get you on some deer.

Comment

Have not done the type 2 in years. When did they start a lottery?
        As far as I know you get the book with your permit and it has all the property mapped out.
        One thing is for sure. Get out there and scout before you go hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Southernboy View Post
          Not to sure on the lottery but if your ever wanting to get together I can show you a couple spots on a wma near your neck of the woods and we can get you on some deer.
          wma? Im down for scouting and hunting a few areas that anyone can shed some light on..

Comment

Originally posted by Tomkat07 View Post
            Have not done the type 2 in years. When did they start a lottery?
            As far as I know you get the book with your permit and it has all the property mapped out.
            One thing is for sure. Get out there and scout before you go hunt.
            Agree on the scouting... Im not sure on the lottery either, there's conflicting info on various websites. I might just have to run over to the TPWD office and talk to a Warden to clarify... Thanks for the response all.

Comment

They are certain draw hunts you can aPply for is what your meaning by lottery I am guessing. They are listed in the type II booklet you get. What WMA you looking to hunt?

Comment

The draw hunts are seperate from the APH. Be sure you read all the rules for ea. WMA because they are all different. When the WMAs conduct draw hunts they are closed to the public on the hunt dates. Pm me if you need more info

Comment

there is public land that does not require the type 2 however some requires regestering Lakes Aquilla and Whitney, LBJ National grassland etc.

Comment

When do you need to submit your entry for the public drawn hunts?

Comment

Originally posted by smj281 View Post
                      When do you need to submit your entry for the public drawn hunts?

Several are due in august.

Comment

Commandbro, I am in the same situation you are in. Still looking for a WMA recommendation near San Antonio.

Comment

I am also new to public hunting. I just got a bow a year ago and I am itching to get out and harvest something. Problem is I have no clue about where to go. I did put in for the draws and acutally won an archery deer hunt in Perdernales Falls Annex. I am excited about that but I have almost a month of hunting to do before that hunt starts. Any help and assistence would be great.

Comment

Check out the 2012-2013 APH Booklet on the TWPD website.. There are very few places to hunt white-tails, but there are some.. The 4 National Forests are a good place to start, just take a tree stand and your thermocell.. Checkout the postcard hunts in the APH Booklet as well, but hurry. The Army Corps of Engineers allows hunting on some of their land. They have a publication from last year you can google. Here's a good list of public availability:

Texas Parks and Wildlife magazine, the Outdoor Magazine of Texas: Editorial Information.

Your best bet is to ask friends, familiy, colleagues, etc. if you can hunt on their land or their friends land.. Just spread the word and ask friends to ask around..

Comment

I saw in your other post saying your Army not sure if resv still or retired but check out the AFB in SA one of them offers hunting on post for military olny as do alot of posts in TX.

Brownwood is one more that comes to mine.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X