"Official" Sam Houston National Forest 12-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firemedic2105 View Post
    Ok, I had just heard and read stuff about the bark slipping off under the weight of the stand so I wanted to get some other opinions.

I was reading some stuff the other day about "early rut" which, according to the article, was only a few days long and wasn't a set time frame like the true rut. Could this be what's happening?
    From what I understand there is a pre-rut, rut, and post rut

Comment

Italian is busy today! Good luck!

Well I'm back at the house. Had a pretty good morning hunt, saw hog cruising for acorns in the brush 100 yards away and a 4 point came by about 30 yards out. No doe's for me today.

Always nice to at least lay my eyes on some critters.

Comment

This isn't the rut. Not yet, too early. These bucks are just impatient and are doing some chasing but the doe's aren't ready to be bred yet. I don't even know that I would call this pre-rut yet, but as AJMag already mentioned, when the weather warms up, the chasing will slow. (For now)

Comment

Originally posted by TMiddleton View Post
          This isn't the rut. Not yet, too early. These bucks are just impatient and are doing some chasing but the doe's aren't ready to be bred yet. I don't even know that I would call this pre-rut yet, but as AJMag already mentioned, when the weather warms up, the chasing will slow. (For now)
          100% agreed. Very well put T.

Comment

Man I got called and asked if I wanted to come work some ot and since nothing was moving I said eff it and packed up... On the way out of
            My 2 1/2 mile trip out I decided to stop and check out this place I've been wantin to see... I found the "mother tree" biggest oak I've seen in shnf... Tons of crunched up acorns under it and a few new ones ready to be chomped... About 30 yards away is a hog trap that appears to be atleast 10 years old all rusted out... Jumped a good buck about 100 yards away and this oak is in the middle of a 50 yard wide funnel of hardwoods that runs between two grown up clear cut pine areas... Wish I was here last weekend hunting this tree!

Comment

Had some awesome sightings today. Saw 2 squirrels and 2 game wardens.

Comment

Originally posted by roguecraft101 View Post
                Man I got called and asked if I wanted to come work some ot and since nothing was moving I said eff it and packed up... On the way out of
                My 2 1/2 mile trip out I decided to stop and check out this place I've been wantin to see... I found the "mother tree" biggest oak I've seen in shnf... Tons of crunched up acorns under it and a few new ones ready to be chomped... About 30 yards away is a hog trap that appears to be atleast 10 years old all rusted out... Jumped a good buck about 100 yards away and this oak is in the middle of a 50 yard wide funnel of hardwoods that runs between two grown up clear cut pine areas... Wish I was here last weekend hunting this tree!
                Why can't I ever find these good places.

Comment

With the cooler temps I have decided to pull bad-karma back out for an afternoon sit!

Comment

Well I seen 4 does under 30 yards BEHIND ME by the time I slowly turned they walked behind the trees where they came from funny thing they was down wind from me I was maybe 20ft up and they never even was concerned. Then two bucks adout 50 yards upwind looked my direction and stomped and blew then bounced off don't think they made me but definitely didn't like something they looked to be 4pts.That wind was moving that tree I was in it looked good at the base but about 20ft up it got about the size of a lg coffee can that's why I couldn't go any higher stand was at it's smallest and it was starting to lean down.

Comment

Almost hit 5 does on the dirt road to my spot. 3 of them were good size. Two extra trucks at my parking spot. Both of them had guys asleep in them.
                      Very calm and quiet in the woods tonight. Maybe when those two walk in late, they'll push some deer my way.

Comment

Glad I came out tonight....wind is dead over here, little later then I wanted to be but I'm up and set

Comment

Well yall give us some reports! I'm at home and didn't go this evening, so come on with it! Any deer moving yet?

Aaron, what's Bad-Karma up to?

Comment

I know there is blood on the ground but it wasn't Bad-Karma. I been up here playing angry birds. Haven't seen a thing. I know there is some LDPs coming though

Comment

My blood brother smoked a doe.

Comment

LDP's!

That's awesome! Now yall are really making me feel like I should have went out this evening!

Comment

Working...
                                X