"Official" Sam Houston National Forest 12-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sarge03 View Post
    No, my brother is hunting the area of hardwoods where I saw the 6 (I thought it was an 8 but "after further review of the pics I took "the ruling on the field has been reversed" he didn't have brow tines) I gave him struck instructions not to shoot it if it comes out but any other deer was fair game! Hopefully he listens better than I do, cause I know if I saw big boy again I'd sling one at him!

My adrenalin has been pumping all morning. I keep hearing all kinds of stuff walking around behind the thick cover! They would be within range if the would just step out but haven't seen anything yet... I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
    Sounds like you need a treestand for that area

Comment

Have one but I'm letting my brother use it in the hardwoods... I guess I'm too nice of a guy. (Letting my brother us my climber, leaving the stand 5 minutes to early which caused me to spook a deer off while heading to fix my mother-in-laws car, and now giving up hunting to help my dad move this entire weekend) nice guy or jump family oriented?!?! One way or another I hope the deer gods are seeing the sacrifices I've already made this year! Lol

Comment

No, my brother is hunting the area of hardwoods where I saw the 6 (I thought it was an 8 but "after further review of the pics I took "the ruling on the field has been reversed" he didn't have brow tines) I gave him struck instructions not to shoot it if it comes out but any other deer was fair game! Hopefully he listens better than I do, cause I know if I saw big boy again I'd sling one at him!

My adrenalin has been pumping all morning. I keep hearing all kinds of stuff walking around behind the thick cover! They would be within range if the would just step out but haven't seen anything yet... I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
        Well hes a big 6... odds are he wont grow them next year either so I'd take him out. =P

I was once on an amazing lease out in west texas that didn't get hunted for about 8 years... when we got on it we would sit in the fields and count 100+ deer a hunt... one of the best deer taken off the place was a 5 year old 6 point... he had horns as thick as some of those canadian deer you see and a body as big as a cow. I swear his bases were about 2 1/2" thick!

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
          New rule AJ, for every confusing phrase and formula you use from now on that hurts my brain, you have to host us all for a beer and backstrap bbq
          Kind of like the old dollar jar my boss had for every f bomb dropped at work, which is probably why i'm so broke and took so long to have money for college.

You are hereby forbidden from using words over 2 syllables

It's all good, just gotta give ya a hard time for racking my brain
          I brew beer pretty often so there's always plenty of that!

Comment

Originally posted by roguecraft101 View Post
            When are you due to grad? I have worked for a lot of oil and gas companies here in Houston including the one I am at now that are hiring new engineers. If your interested I could get your resume in the right hands and at the front of the list.
            May 2014. I'm a super senior, but the way prerequisites fall and courses are offered it will take me until then to get out.

Comment

Originally posted by roguecraft101 View Post
              Well hes a big 6... odds are he wont grow them next year either so I'd take him out. =P

I was once on an amazing lease out in west texas that didn't get hunted for about 8 years... when we got on it we would sit in the fields and count 100+ deer a hunt... one of the best deer taken off the place was a 5 year old 6 point... he had horns as thick as some of those canadian deer you see and a body as big as a cow. I swear his bases were about 2 1/2" thick!
              Oh I plan on it, it just depends if "Big Se(I)xy" gives me another opportunity. I didn't want to put my brother in the hardwoods because I was saving that area and wanted to keep very little pressure on it. I think once the gun season opens up, that area will be a "safe" haven for the big boys!

I absolutely love big 8 pointers, but there is something about this 6 point I really want to! We had a lease like that in Jasper but the biggest one that was killed there was a 16 point non-typical that's scored 190 and some change.

Comment

Originally posted by ajmartinez View Post
                May 2014. I'm a super senior, but the way prerequisites fall and courses are offered it will take me until then to get out.
                Well I am sure we will both still be on here in 2 years so we will see what happens then.

Comment

Oh I plan on it, it just depends if "Big Se(I)xy" gives me another opportunity. I didn't want to put my brother in the hardwoods because I was saving that area and wanted to keep very little pressure on it. I think once the gun season opens up, that area will be a "safe" haven for the big boys!

I absolutely love big 8 pointers, but there is something about this 6 point I really want to! We had a lease like that in Jasper but the biggest one that was killed there was a 16 point non-typical that's scored 190 and some change.
                  Yeah we had one that was sort of like that... was 19 points in the most tangled looking thing you have ever seen. It was around 160... smaller over all rack size but had enough horns to carry it to 160. Would have been closer to 110 as a typ. =P There were a few MONSTER 14 pnt typicals shot off there also. Bad news for the lease tho we had one guy who would go up for weeks at a time without anyone there... he would shoot everything walk up look at it and "hide" it if he wasnt happy. Real piece of trash... shot the place up in about 3 years before we caught onto him.

Comment

I have a risky plan to get a buck this year... I want to get both my does out of the way first. =P

Comment

Yes as long as you have a CHL, there is no problem carrying your pistol. And the warden that you probably ran into was Melissa Brown?
                      I dont think she is that easy on the eyes. must have been someone else.

Comment

Ok maybe my good feeling wasn't correct today... I only have about 30 minutes left to hunt and I still haven't seen anything. Had what sounded like a fawn in distress call, followed directly by a low grunt about an hour ago but didn't see them. And if it was another hunter, they did a bang up job with the calls and camouflaging themselves because I never saw them lol. Hopefully I'll hit a strike within the next 30 minutes.

Anyone else hunt today? See anything?

Comment

Well I hunted yesterday, sort of, I helped a guy that had a flat tire instead, and when I did get into the stand there were too many hikers walking around and kids screaming and laughing and so on! The wind was calm most of the day, but around 6:00 pm it picked up and blew in the wrong direction, so I climbed down and went home. I did see two squirrels again. I think these guys are following me around the forest! Good luck o you all and congrats to Raptor! Keep it up boys, maybe ill find something to shoot for a first with my bow this year!

Comment

I'm planning on tomorrow evening if wind lays down some. Got a funereal this weekend in San Antonio so if I can get out its gonna be Sunday. I'd just like to finally see something lol didn't get the time to really scout like I wanted too and didn't get any pics at all on 3 of my cameras that were in an area that had lots last yr.

Comment

Used Bow??

Anybody have a used bow for sale? Perhaps your old one, starter, etc.

Details- I am just looking to get into bow hunting. I had one lined up from a buddy but his draw length is 27, I am in need of a 30- 30.5. It is an old parker in which you have to change the module out on top in which noone carries anymore. I am not looking for any $800 rig to get started. Looking for something in the $300 area, outfitted and ready to go. I don't want to dump a bunch of money on something I don't know how good I'll be at. Give me a call if you do, 832-458-8942 (PM's not working for me)

Comment

why dont you check out the bps brand bows. they dont seem too bad and i think you can get an ok one for around that 300 350 mark.

Comment

Working...
                                X