No announcement yet.

"Official" Sam Houston National Forest 12-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On a side note... went to bushnells website and they have a "bow only" version for 100$ cheaper at 199$. Thats a bit easier to swallow than 300$ =P If I ever hunted with a rifle again the holdover for rifle hunting is pretty neat.

Comment

Nice job Raptor and welcome to the addiction !

Comment

Congrats raptor

Comment

Originally posted by stickm View Post
          Nice job Raptor and welcome to the addiction !
          Next he gets to experience "buck fever"

Comment

Originally posted by roguecraft101 View Post
            Next he gets to experience "buck fever"
            We all have that!

Comment

Any word on the doe permits for the general season yet? IIRC, they come out about mid-October, right?

Comment

Originally posted by BowAssasin View Post
                Yeah I think so.. I was wearing my old USMC digital Cammies
                I have to go all the way back to my BDUs to get anything useful. The ACU blends in with exactly nothing!

Originally posted by Sarge03 View Post
                I can't agree with this. We were trying to determine how far the shot will be made from and which pin to use because of the angle. Us Pythagorean Theorem to determine this. It's not like trajectory from a bullet over long range where you have temperature, the earths natural spin(gravity), humidity, altitude, etc... We are talking 40-50 yard shots tops, not 1000 yards with a rifle.

I'm going to lay off this post. I don't want things getting heated when they don't need to be; that's not what we are here for. As someone said earlier, the best way to know is to climb up the tree and shoot at different angles. After that watch the infomercial for the Bushnell ACR 1000. It will explain better than any of us how important angle factor is.
                Pythagorean Theorem is of limited use here, and you do have to account for gravitational acceleration in the vertical plane. At short ranges the Coriolis Effect can be neglected as that term is then insignificant. Pythagoras will tell us the straight line distance, which would be most useful if we were shooting lasers - but our arrows have mass, and will indeed follow a ballistic trajectory across any distance they travel. Since I agree that we certainly owe it to our prey to make the cleanest kill as soon as I get a break in my schedule I'll lay the math and science down in concrete terms and repost. We will find that with the short effective range of our weapon system the gravitational component (and indeed that of drag as well) are only especially relevant at the outer reaches, but since it appears several people are interested in what's really going on I'll go through it in depth just because I can. I might even whip up a quick spreadsheet that might be of some use if anyone wants a chart they can stick on their quiver or whatever.

Comment

Also, congrats to Raptor! I remember my first kill like it was yesterday. Now I need to get the first bow kill under my belt too!

Comment

Originally posted by ajmartinez View Post
                    I have to go all the way back to my BDUs to get anything useful. The ACU blends in with exactly nothing!

Pythagorean Theorem is of limited use here, and you do have to account for gravitational acceleration in the vertical plane. At short ranges the Coriolis Effect can be neglected as that term is then insignificant. Pythagoras will tell us the straight line distance, which would be most useful if we were shooting lasers - but our arrows have mass, and will indeed follow a ballistic trajectory across any distance they travel. Since I agree that we certainly owe it to our prey to make the cleanest kill as soon as I get a break in my schedule I'll lay the math and science down in concrete terms and repost. We will find that with the short effective range of our weapon system the gravitational component (and indeed that of drag as well) are only especially relevant at the outer reaches, but since it appears several people are interested in what's really going on I'll go through it in depth just because I can. I might even whip up a quick spreadsheet that might be of some use if anyone wants a chart they can stick on their quiver or whatever.
                    Easy killer, we're but humble hunter's here

Comment

Originally posted by PineyWoodsBow View Post
                      Easy killer, we're but humble hunter's here
                      Oh I'm not trying to step on any toes, but doing this sort of thing actually helps me keep my ducks in a row at school. Particle motion and all that jazz kind of make up the foundation of mechanical engineering. The hardest part is deciding which factors I'll ignore for the sake of simplicity (like the offset between your arrow rest and sight body, for instance). Like I said, the difference is real small inside bow range and it's the difference between fratricide and successful fire support for an artillery battery!

Comment

So in summary aim low

Comment

Originally posted by pineywoodsbow View Post
                          so in summary aim low
                          [ATTACH]399559[/ATTACH]
                          Attached Files

Comment

Took a break from fluid mechanics for a second and watched part of the ARC technology infomercial. The 58 yard line of sight + 30 degree angle = Shoot for 50?

58*cos(30deg) = 50.2, and they only claim to be accurate within a yard or a degree

Conceptually, I can buy that well enough. If you don't have a readout for angle, but know what tree you'll be hunting, range a few landmarks from the base of the tree and draw yourself a range card on a 3x5. Never met a range card I couldn't memorize in 30 minutes, and if sitting in a tree stand is anything like pulling guard or overwatch there will be way more than 30 minutes of idle time at hand. No need to even turn the rangefinder on again after that.
                            Last edited by ajmartinez; 10-02-2012, 07:43 PM. Reason: really you could range from in the tree as long as you do it horizontally.

Comment

Ummmm..... huh...... what? AJ what is all that in simple redneck terms?

Maybe i should get you to tune my bow...

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
                                Ummmm..... huh...... what? AJ what is all that in simple redneck terms?

Maybe i should get you to tune my bow...
                                Hah, I'm afraid I really don't know anything about bows! Math? Yeah. Shooting things? Probably wouldn't have been my brigade's marksmanship instructor if I couldn't do that!

In simple redneck terms that rangefinder does no wizardry but use a property of right triangles to tell you how far away your target is in the purely horizontal direction. Get up in a stand and laser the base of some nearby tree - then laser the same tree up at your eye level. That second number is what the Bushnell is giving you.

Comment

Working...
                                X