No announcement yet.

"Official" Sam Houston National Forest 12-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I plan to scout thursday the 27th, I have from daylight till around noon that day if anybody wants to join

Comment

Are you sure that's in the Sam?

Comment

Saw same pics on another site this week

Comment

If those aren't from the Sam well that's just cruel!

Wish I could join u Thursday gonzo but my job would have a heart attack if I missed during the week. Good luck to you and hope u find some promising spots.

Good luck to everyone scouting this weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
            Maybe I'm being a p rick but I really wish folks wouldn't post pictures of deer like that on here.
            X2!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gdawg View Post
              Saw same pics on another site this week
              You did not see them on a different site. I posted them in the wrong forum on accident on this site, but they are real, my trail cam pictures and they are out of the Sam Houston National Forest. I accidentally posted them on a Hunter orange posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                Maybe I'm being a p rick but I really wish folks wouldn't post pictures of deer like that on here.
                Why not post pictures of deer like these? This shows what the forest has to offer if you are willing to put in the time to scout and have the patience to wait on a mature buck not just a "legal" buck. If you just don't want more people in the forest then that is just out right greedy. My wife's cousin has hunted the forest for a long time and has harvested nice bucks every year and 120-155 BC bucks since the antler restrictions have been put in place. I have been scouting every week since May and just wanted to show off the results. I wasn't able to hunt much last year but I had three mature bucks within 50 yards but wasn't able to seal the deal. I had a couple beautiful young bucks that were "legal" but they were only 1.5-2.5 years old come right under me but they were not what I was after. I did harvest a doe but I was only able to hunt less than five days.

Comment

AJMag -- It was good to finally get to meet you last night! Enjoyed getting to flinging some arrows, and thank goodness we were indoors (C&S Archery) when the bottom fell out!

Thank God for the rain!
                  Last edited by TMiddleton; 09-15-2012, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Jared, that is a nice mature buck there. I think I would fall out of my tree if I saw that dude cruise by....

Comment

I went back and found it in game management forum. Those are some awesome deer - no matter where they come from!

Finding deer like that takes a whole lotta work - I've found a few spots that I know have some better deer but my problem is I hunt alone and they are so deep and inaccessible it would take an army or pack horse to get em out. First year I made mistake of shooting a doe back in there and it almost killed me gettin her out - lesson learned!

Good luck stickin em

Comment

Originally posted by TMiddleton View Post
                        AJMag -- It was good to finally get to meet you last night! Enjoyed getting to flinging some arrows, and thank goodness we were indoors (C&S Archery) when the bottom fell out!

Thank God for the rain!
                        Likewise... Can't wait to do it again. And yes, thank goodness for being indoors, it was a cow patty floater for sure!

Jared those are nice pics, but I don't think it's being greedy on any of our parts for not wanting them in the open, because it leads to greediness on the parts of others who may see them, then abandon a lease for a week or two to try their luck on a different area thinking it may be any easy tag fill. It's nice to see something like that out there, but I wouldn't be sharing those in the open forum, instead through some pm's with those who have been helping me get on them. To each his own though.

Comment

AJ, great news about your eyes bro! The power of GS prayer strikes again! Man, those are some crazy deer! I would have never expected that from the NF, but I guess good genetics can be anywhere. Any one of those would look bada** hanging in one of our living rooms lol. Had every intention of getting out Friday and checking cameras, but one of my p/t jobs got in the way, so it didn't happen. Looks like now going Monday afternoon to check cameras and taking a Marine buddy that's home right now down around the lake to see if we can't put a pig or two on the ground. Really hoping we can get onto some and put some meat in his family's freezer.

Comment

Firemedic - if you have a marine buddy in need let me know. I'm sure I could put together some venison for one who serves and protects my rights to do what I do - Ray - 281-808-5071

Comment

I appreciate the offer Ray. It isn't so much "need" with them, his brothers and uncles keep them in meat pretty well, he just hasn't had the opportunity to be the one to put the meat in there and it's something he wants to do.

Comment

Originally posted by PineyWoodsBow View Post
                                Jared, that is a nice mature buck there. I think I would fall out of my tree if I saw that dude cruise by....
                                Haha! fall out of the tree? That's no joke. lol!

Jared Looks like your doing your homework I hope you close the deal this year! Thanks for sharing your pics.

I went out this morning. I think I found a few promising spots, marked my gps and set my cam up. Man I can't wait!

We are eating at Phil's on 149 if anyone is out and wants to meet up for lunch.

Comment

Working...
                                X