Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unit 9 is on fire now

Comment

The Caddo and LBJ are managed as one Ranger District and part of the National Forest and Grasslands in Texas. The district office is located in Decatur.

The Caddo is located in Fannin County and consist of three separate units. The Bois D'Arc and Ladonia Units are managed for hunting (Unit 903) in cooperation with Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept. The Fannin Unit is archery only for deer and hogs and does not require the Public Hunting Lands permit.

You can contact the district office for answers to questions at (940) 627-5475.

Comment

Game Stalker... if you need any help out there let me know. Just texted ya too. Be safe bud!

Comment

the dozer and rain has about got it out but thanks for the call

Comment

Great to hear dozer. I'd hate to hear it had become a rager like the one back at the beginning of last season. It's the cycle of nature I guess.

Comment

Most recent radar pic from around Decatur and Alvord (where I live). I think it's gonna hang around awhile too!!!

Comment

Yeah it seems like a good line of storms are coming through... honestly if you check out the 10 day forecast it calls for a high of 90 on Saturday. Talk about your cold front...

Just wanted to pop in and say hello. I have been a member of the forums for a year now and have been particularly interested in the LBJ grasslands, as I live in the Lewisville\Flower Mound area. So I figured I would start participating, so to not seem like a leecher.

Anywho I have been hunting for the last 15 years, and only recently I have had the money to be able to slowly get back into it (hunting on my own). I have had my bow for about 3 years now, and am very comfortable with it. Try and get out in the backyard and shoot a few, and work on my form and accuracy. So it is about time to land me my first bow kill. It actually seems more natural to me, as I went bowhunting with my father as a child. He is still amazed, to this day, how a 10 year old could sit still, in the cold, with 6+ deer stomping and snorting 15 yards away. But needless to say I still love it and want to get back out there.

Anyways, thanks for reading and looking forward to getting to know some of ya'll.

Comment

if your ever up this way, post that you are coming and maybe some of us can show you around a little up here...great place to hunt but you gotta get out and scout alot on your own...best thing to do is find an LBJ map online or go and get one from the district office (folding kind...much easier to see detailed road maps) welcome

Comment

Howdy fellas, first off, I hope the rain took care of the fires up that way, is it still "no injuries, no damage to structures"?

To the point, I'm a first time bow hunter, headed to LBJ. I've got an question for you. Keep in mind, money is really tight for a guy back in school after military years.

Ghillie suit vs. Tree stand vs. pop up blind??? I can afford only one of the these options. As a new hunter, and a new BOW hunter on top of that, and a new TRAD bow hunter on top of THAT, I'm going to need an edge.

opinions, advice?

Thanks folks!

Comment

Originally posted by kharmon View Post
                      Howdy fellas, first off, I hope the rain took care of the fires up that way, is it still "no injuries, no damage to structures"?

To the point, I'm a first time bow hunter, headed to LBJ. I've got an question for you. Keep in mind, money is really tight for a guy back in school after military years.

Ghillie suit vs. Tree stand vs. pop up blind??? I can afford only one of the these options. As a new hunter, and a new BOW hunter on top of that, and a new TRAD bow hunter on top of THAT, I'm going to need an edge.

opinions, advice?

Thanks folks!
                      Ghille suit - Hot, bulky early season, may work for a Trad. close up encounter though

Pop up - Deer see it everytime, even brushed in, in my exp. sitting under a tree or in bushes much more effective, play the wind

Tree stand - More versatile, easy to move location, i use a 12' ladderstand w/ wheels with good success

Good luck on your hunting

Comment

Ghille suit...not a good idea unless you get a leafy mesh bowhunting suit like I have that I got at Cabelas...full Ghille=instant death by heat unless you wanna wear it for the January portion of the season...

Pop-up...I bought and used my pop up last year and I had deer come in...but on high alert, stomping and looking hard at it...not sure there are any pop ups that are colored correctly for our super dry Texas landscape right now...try it and see, but definately brush it in

Tree Stand...I have a climber that you can back pack in, and finding a straight tree in a good location is not as hard as you think it may be. Dont screw any steps in, and I think 72 hours is the length you can leave them out...I just happen not to trust anyone (had too much stuff stolen in the past) so I just pack in and pack out each time...I have a ladder stand also that I welded some axles to and put wheels on, but I tend to use it more for a rickshaw game cart than anything.

Another option (which Im gonna try out this year cause Ive killed a dear in a pop up and tree stand) is spot and stalk...never done it, but I think Im gonna give it a try...most important part is to get out there...cant kill anything sitting on the couch!! Good luck

Comment

Went out with my 6 yr old son tonight to "blow the stink off". Had a deer blow at us on the first unit as we were walking in, and then spooked one as we were tromping around on the back corner. Saw a few small bucks with some does as we were driving to the next unit. (adjoining private land) Didn't see anything at the next unit, but was still nice to get out and tromp around a little.

Comment

I wouldn't recommend a gille suit. But I use leafy suits any the time I'm not in a blind.

Comment

Thanks for the replies folks! I think i'm going to go put on a "leafy suit" at cabelas and wander around the store in it. Maybe go get a bow from that department and try drawing it a few times.

I'm sure this is a long shot, but is anyone planning on scouting tomorrow (saturday) that would like to show a new guy around? I went out earlier this week and found what I THINK to be a couple good spots, but I really don't know. Of course, I'm not asking you to show me your hunting areas, but just get me started on the right track when selecting a site.

Comment

Quote "Thanks for the replies folks! I think i'm going to go put on a "leafy suit" at cabelas and wander around the store in it. Maybe go get a bow from that department and try drawing it a few times."

^ Make sure you can draw in any piece of clothing is great idea...every jacket, coat, leafy suit and shirt I buy I always do a draw test to make sure I have enough room to draw comfortaby...I even take it a step further on pop up blinds and set them up in the store, find a stool to sit on (or 5 gallon bucket) and make sure I have enough room draw and swing my bow back and forth through the windows...dont wait till you get out in the field to find out your gear isnt compatible for you

Im busy this saturday or I would volunteer to run around and show yall around...sorry maybe some other time

Comment

Working...
                                X