No announcement yet.

grainger hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

will a canoe be fine out there? and do they have a camping area and is it decent.

Comment

A nice size canoe would be perfect. As for camping I'm too much of a wus nowdays for that.

Check their webpage. If you could camp in D that would be good.

Comment

My 2 cents about hunting Granger

I have bowhunted the north areas, both around Willis creek and the area below the dam called Pecan Grove. Willis creek has ample hogs, but Pecan grove is really ate up with them. The challenge: they want to move after normal shooting hours. I have heard (in this forum) about people seeing hogs at dusk/dawn and during daylight, but that has not been my experience.

The basic hunting regs say there are no restrictions on taking hogs, but the Granger supplementals say that federal safety orange must be worn while on the areas, and they say that normal shooting hours apply, 1/2 hour before sunrise and after sunset.

The reality is that the game wardens won't bother you as long as you wear the orange while moving around. You can take it off once you get set in place.

Using bait is of little use. The hogs come to your bait, after it is too dark to see the site pins.

Comment

You hunted Unit E for five days? You were one of a handful every year who get to trophy hunt that area. I'd trade with you in a heart beat.

There really are a lot of deer and hogs going in and out of there everyday. The problem with the draw hunts are there's never are enough hunters in a unit to kick the bucks and hogs around much.

I did three TPWD deer spotlight surveys this September as a volunteer. I think we counted more deer than ever this year. The flooded dead zones have pushed the deer and hogs into more open area. There are not really more deer, they've just moved to where the food is which is closer to the roads and cut paths.

I remember counting several nice bucks and one night a sounder of about 40 hogs ran out in front of us and stayed in front of us on the road for several minutes!

I was the only guy in the truck that also hunts and the other guys were laughing at me because I was telling the hogs I'd see them in December.

Man, Johnny razzed me about that for two more weeks!

Two weeks ago when we were dragging No1hogkiller's doe out the dividing road between F and E we saw a huge 150 class buck walk the tree line just inside Unit E. He was checking his scrapes. We each could have dropped him.

No1hogkiller will confirm this.

E is a great unit. It has everything for hogs and deer. Lots of thick thick cover, plenty of food for all and the river for water.

We were in F and G and did good for a gun hunt but not great. 8 hogs and 8 deer. Great would have been 20+ hogs.

We would have gotten several more hog if we had had E. It's like F and G but much more concentrated.

I hunt with Tommy the Red, The Recruiter, Nostrodenis, The Captain and my brother Brokenarrow. The first four are excellent marksman, Brokenarrow excels in tracking lost game and I'm at my best helping set up the drives and directing ambushes.

Send any anyone of us out on our own and it get a lot tougher.

Good luck out there. If you can hit a square bail, you hit a Granger hog. Make somebody go with you and push them to you.
          well hell I'm not the only one who didn't do worth a crap in E longstick was there in november and didn't see but one deer.

I came up empty handed from Granger. Lots of tracks where I was but only saw ONE doe 6 am in a cornfield Wed.Lots of scrapes but produced nothing yet,hunted them hard. I did find a better spot this morning way over by the river before the mandated 11 am check out time. Lots of hawgs were seen by all and a nice 160 was seen by the water treatment plant I believe
          I hunted 6 or E as they called it..could we blame it o the weather? NAAAA... I personaly think I should have seen some kind of deer in the woods...lots of hogs all over the place..TPWD says December is the heavy rut but I noticed they were chasing on the golf curse last week in Georgetown,,werent chasing SQUAT where I was
          You would swear the deer knew what was going on and decided to leave the area.

Comment

I know how you feel. The majority of hunters on Trophy hunts feel the same way.

I've been on one Trophy hunt at Granger in all the years I've hunted and the only place I saw a big buck was in the parking lot at the primitive boat dock in E.

I had chased him all over E all day and there he was next to my truck when I was walking out. He didn't jump the fence till I walked through the gate. He probably thought I was fishing.

The best way to hunt Granger is in a group and keep moving. I learned it from my cousin's in New York.

When I went up there the first time I thought I'd be sitting in a stand over a corn feeder. Not!!

I about died my first time out but now it is my favorite way to hunt. You get more shots, see more deer, and learn their patterns.

Since Granger is my number 2 hunting spot, I know it like my own house.

During the gun hunt we saw probably 15 bucks that were shooters, running doe.

It was very frustrating not being able to pop one.

So you take it out on the hogs!

Scroll up to see some of the hogs we took in F and G.

If you're ever drawn again at Granger, beg Trey for E and If I'm in F and G we'll set you up.

Group hunting is the way to go at Granger.

Comment

If you're ever drawn again at Granger, beg Trey for E and If I'm in F and G we'll set you up.
              They won't let you choose on basis of being fair, the biologist told us now they assign compartment depending on the order your group was drawn, so if drawn 1st you get A, 2nd, you get B and so forth. Every draw hunt I've been on seems to have their own system.

Comment

Yup. I found that out at Richland Creek and Chaps.

F and G is the overflow on management hunts for Granger.

If you do standby that's where they put you.

We've put in for years at Granger and never been drawn.

We're just waiting then "Katy bar the doors!" One of us will get a monster.

This year we put in for a bunch of hunts and drew zip.

I gave up last year waiting and bought a small place next to my brother near Lockhart and had the cows off and food plots in for six months and took a fat doe during bow season.

We were out there today and found some hog rootings on the neighbors place. He said please kill them for him! Sure!

Comment

ive always wanted to hunt here. how far is this from the fort worth area?

Comment

Originally posted by hand grenade View Post
                    ive always wanted to hunt here. how far is this from the fort worth area?

4 hours?

Head down 35, take the loop east in Temple, go south on 95 and turn left anywheres from Granger to the Dutchess convenience store south of the San Gabriel River in Circleville.

The hogs are everywhere. Pick a spot and start walking. If you git one post the pictures!

Good luck!

Comment

Count me in!!

What do I need to do, just show up and check in at the station??

We have been camping out there with the family near the west side but was closed due to the flooding.

Looks like if I can get in, this will be my hunting for the spring until fall!!!

Comment

Forgive my ignorance, but I cannot locate anything that breaks Granger into sections (A-G). All I've found on the net is "Pecan Bottom/Grove, Willis Creek, etc.

Can anybody direct me to where to find these sections? I've probably overlooked 'em. I even went on TPWD site, but just found general info ... nothing on the individual sections.

Thanks for the great info tho. I'm fired up to head out there sometime this month fer certain if I can get good - n - zeroed in!

Comment

Sure, I'll try my best.

A B and C are the Pecan Grove on the downstream side of the dam.

D is on the south side of the lake. It is the only huntable area on the south side of the lake. It is west of Taylor park.

E F and G is on the north side of the lake in the San Gabriel wildlife area.

H is on the south side of Willis creek and and buts up against Wils Creek Park

I is on the north side of Willis creek.

The box unit numbers are from way back when hunters had to fill out a form and drop it in a box at the gate of each unit everytime they went out.

They no longer require check.

Why TPWD still uses the box unit number for hunt areas in the Pulblic lands book or why they changed to the ABC's I haven't gotten figured out yet.

Good luck, there's plenty for everybody.

Comment

Thanks Kindly for the info!

Comment

Dang Mr. B.B. my hat is off to you sir...That is probably the most detailed, informative, here are the GPS waypoints, public land hunting information I have ever seen on this website in 3 yrs of observing and inquiring....We would be honored if you and our fellow TBH's would allow us to join you on a hog hunt there in the near future. We would be just as tickled to see you guys nail a few as we would be to get a couple ourselves. Derek is a little anxious to kill something beside targets. If you have a couple of extra spots available post up and we would be more than happy to help move a few around for you...Thank you sir...Rick and Derek

Comment

Originally posted by Rickzilla4645 View Post
                                Dang Mr. B.B. my hat is off to you sir...That is probably the most detailed, informative, here are the GPS waypoints, public land hunting information I have ever seen on this website in 3 yrs of observing and inquiring....We would be honored if you and our fellow TBH's would allow us to join you on a hog hunt there in the near future. We would be just as tickled to see you guys nail a few as we would be to get a couple ourselves. Derek is a little anxious to kill something beside targets. If you have a couple of extra spots available post up and we would be more than happy to help move a few around for you...Thank you sir...Rick and Derek
                                I'm flattered! 25 years of fishing and hunting there I guess.

Go shoot a hog! There's plenty of them!

Comment

Working...
                                X