Mad Island 2nd Hog hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mad Island 2nd Hog hunt

My friend and I hunted the 2nd hunt at Mad Island last week. (22 hunters) There were 10 killed the first evening hunt and 6 of those were by 1 hunter. We did see piglets in the tractor bucket but not sure of size of the others. We were the last to leave on Thursday morning and the Biologist said that the 10 from the first evening were the only ones brought in.
    I saw 7 piglets and 2 larger hogs the first evening, but they were 500 yards plus down the fence line and would not come any closer. Wednesday evening, I seen 3 on the non-hunting side of the fence and only 1 came across at the same spot as the day before. I did corn that spot and back towards the blind, but I had corned the far side of the fire break and the hog only came a few feet into the fire break and the wind was blowing away from him and he only stayed on my side of fence for about a minute. The morning hunts were a bust neither of us seen anything other than birds on our corn. My buddy only seen 1 Coyote and a single hog at 600 yds. We used regular and soured corn and all of it was gone in the mornings when we re-baited.
    They said only 6 were killed on the first hunt.
    We had a great time even without firing a shot. The biologist were very friendly and helpful

We were on the hunt too. I was there with my 2 kids and buddy, my son drew the stand-by hunter names from the bucket. We hunted I and J and never saw a single pig but it was a good lesson for the kids on "hunting" vs "killing." We also used stink and dry corn, and saw signs that they hit it overnight Wednesday morning. We were the second last to leave Thursday and saw 2 other names still out, it must have been you. I hunted Mad Island in 2012 and killed 8 pigs in 2 days, 5 on the first sit on the far east part of the property. Seems like the salt flats where we were this time don't hold much. On the way out we saw a huge gator by the check station, we'll be putting in for those too.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
      We were on the hunt too. I was there with my 2 kids and buddy, my son drew the stand-by hunter names from the bucket. We hunted I and J and never saw a single pig but it was a good lesson for the kids on "hunting" vs "killing." We also used stink and dry corn, and saw signs that they hit it overnight Wednesday morning. We were the second last to leave Thursday and saw 2 other names still out, it must have been you. I hunted Mad Island in 2012 and killed 8 pigs in 2 days, 5 on the first sit on the far east part of the property. Seems like the salt flats where we were this time don't hold much. On the way out we saw a huge gator by the check station, we'll be putting in for those too.
      Yes, that was us. I was the one that said to your boy " Sure must be nice to be hunting, instead of being in school".
      We hunted Y & Z. The North wind and West wind were not good for "Z" as there was not much land down on that south side for the Soured smell to make it too far before it hit the ICW. Greenwing pond at the end of the road from my blind was full of Gators.
      We hunted "T" during the youth hunt back in December with the same result. They were hitting it hard overnight. 10 Kids on that hunt and only 3 hogs were taken.
      I believe with the popularity of Hog Doggin, Trapping and Thermal hunting from the neighboring properties that the Hog population has been hit pretty hard down there.

Comment

Originally posted by Static1968 View Post

I believe with the popularity of Hog Doggin, Trapping and Thermal hunting from the neighboring properties that the Hog population has been hit pretty hard down there.
        Nice to meet another TBHer. That makes sense on the thermal etc and the wind didn't help us much either. Good luck next time!

Comment

I talked to one of the workers on the WMA last year and he said they shoot them when spotted year round.

Comment

We were on the Youth Hunt back in December. My Younger Daughter was one of the fortunate 3 that got one. She dropped a pretty big boar right in his tracks!
            Sorry y'all didn't have any luck again Static1968.

I considered coming down on Standby but couldn't make it work out. Do you know if many showed for standby or if there were even many spots available?

Comment

Originally posted by Yakinthebox View Post
              We were on the Youth Hunt back in December. My Younger Daughter was one of the fortunate 3 that got one. She dropped a pretty big boar right in his tracks!
              Sorry y'all didn't have any luck again Static1968.

I considered coming down on Standby but couldn't make it work out. Do you know if many showed for standby or if there were even many spots available?
              Yak,
              I think there were 4 standby hunters that showed up and they all got to hunt. We had 22 total, so I think there were still 4 more spots available. It is all luck of which stand out there will have hogs show up. We actually picked "Y" and "Z" since those were the furthest stands on the South side and we did not have to drive past or near anyone else's stand as we were going in or coming out.

Comment

Working...
              X