Hagerman hog hunt, 19-21 Jan 2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hagerman hog hunt, 19-21 Jan 2024

Any TBHrs going? It will be interesting to see how the results work out being 2 months prior to years past, and prior to the aerial hog thinning.

Keep us updated.

I wish we got drawn for that hunt this year. It was pretty fun when we drew it in '21.

Comment

I’ve enjoyed them in the past, didn’t put in this year, reasons listed:
      January weather
      $83 for a hog or two, plus 2 tanks of diesel, $120 or so for camp site
      rewinterizing 5th wheel post hunt
      family issues (dad health)
      Just couldn’t justify it cost wise, and I enjoy the H.

Comment

Me and a couple of friends got drawn. We went today pigs were everywhere. We had a “ blast”.

Comment

A buddy and I got drawn. Didn't make it Fri, work interfering with my personal life. We'll be out there Sat and Sun. The weather looks right and hogs seem to be moving everywhere lately.

Comment

Kill a bunch of them!

Comment

Originally posted by Stockmo View Post
              A buddy and I got drawn. Didn't make it Fri, work interfering with my personal life. We'll be out there Sat and Sun. The weather looks right and hogs seem to be moving everywhere lately.
              Similar story for me, work and personal life interfering. Work had me out of town til last night late. Getting in some time with kids today (did a gs cookie booth and now ball games ). Hope to be up there tomorrow afternoon to find some leftover hogs......

Comment

Hunted Friday and Saturday - saw plenty of hogs and dropped a few.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20240121_143400.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	878.2 KB
ID:	26698577one less leftover

Comment

Unfortunate there was not a designated archery only unit. Hogs were few and skittish.

Comment

My experience with Hagerman, the first day is pretty good. After that they can get scarce if your hunting a popular unit.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                        My experience with Hagerman, the first day is pretty good. After that they can get scarce if your hunting a popular unit.
                        Agree, they catch on real quick when the shooting starts.

Comment

I got drawn. Super cold and not a lot of hunters out. I thing Texas Parks and Wildlife should go back to having the hunts in March like the refuge did.

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
                            I got drawn. Super cold and not a lot of hunters out. I thing Texas Parks and Wildlife should go back to having the hunts in March like the refuge did.
                            You need to conduct the refuge. They set the hunt dates and TPWD only conducts the draw.

From what I've heard, the refuge moved the hunt dates to January because they typically conduct helicopter hog hunts in February. They did this in response to complaints about having public hunts after the helicopter hunts.

Comment

Yeah, I didn't have much time this year, but appreciated going before the helos. Prior years would always find potential targets that had been taken out just 2~3 weeks before.

Comment

Working...
                              X