• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trinity NWR Muzzleloader

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240103_093510_Messages.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	26681762 Did any of you guys that were drawn for this hunt get this text message this morning at 3am. Appears they screwed up on dates and ability to shoot does and trying to backtrack. The permit you apply for and get says nothing about this.

Unfortunately I was drawn and paid for permit and 93 year old step dad had a health emergency and could not go.

Yeah got the same email. It would be a shame if someone shot a doe on the opener (2nd) and got in trouble for it.

I’m still debating if I should hunt. I scouted a few days before and saw very little sign plus there were people running dogs in the area.

Comment

The Muzzleloader hunt at Brierwood a few years ago was the worst hunt I have ever been on. Between the lack of animal's and having numerous other hunters stalk in on my setup it was not enjoyable. The number of Deer you can legally harvest did not correspond with what I seen in there. The day I scouted, and set stand I saw no deer or hogs (hog sign everywhere). Opening day, I saw a 1 doe and 1 hog. Then after the Orange army stormed thru stalking, I did not see anything the next 4 days I hunted. I am fairly sure that the locals poach it pretty hard.
      from my experience and what I have read on past threads, it is essentially a hog hunt where you may see a deer.

Comment

Yes, the place is odd for sure... it seems like the Wardens/Refuge personnel are not interested in managing the place. When I hunted there a few years ago I had a similar experience and you could see trails all through the woods leading from private property where it was being used as their personal lease.

Comment

I got the message, and I happened to shoot a doe on the 2nd.

I was freaking out but I told the guy what happened, he talked to the game warden and they said no repurcussions. Just do not shoot another doe before the 8th.

Comment

Also, did you see that they ended up extending the hunt through the 21st now to line up with the state muzzleloader season?

Comment

Yes, I saw that.. unfortunately it coincides with my golf vacation to Palm Springs.

Comment

Anyone have any success on any of the Units to this point?

I was going to go tomorrow for my last sit but ended up getting scheduled for overtime. Hunt ends on Sunday...

Comment

Wanted to post this on here...

I ended up not being able to make it for the last day of my hunt on the McGuire Unit as I had to work. I planned on getting out there the following week to collect my blind and gear. As luck would have it, the river ended up flooding and I couldn't make it out there. When I finally made it out after the floodwaters receded, someone had stolen stuff out of my blind. I was ANGRY but I know it's technically my fault as I should've made time to get out there. I HATE THIEVES!!! Ended up having my BOG Shooting Tripod stolen as well as a couple other things. I know it didn't float away because my pee bottle was still there. If anything would've floated off, it would've been that bottle. Not my 8lb non buoyant tripod.

I also was WAAAAAY off the beaten path on that property. Nowhere near property lines or trails.

Just wanted to share this experience so anyone who draws this unit in the future knows not to leave anything out there.

I did end up harvesting the 1 doe that was technically off limits. I also harvested a big sow. I shot at another doe on the last day I hunted out there but apparently there was a small sapling tree just in the perfect spot to deflect my shot.

Name:	McGuire Unit Hog.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	665.8 KB
ID:	26770427

Name:	Missed shot Sapling.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	539.5 KB
ID:	26770428

Name:	McGuire Unit Doe.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	482.9 KB
ID:	26770430

All in all, I don't think I'll put in again for this hunt because of the thievery around there. Also, it was very tough trekking as the property is long and narrow.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X