No announcement yet.

La Sal Del Rey Youth hunt 12/29 - 12/31

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

​We just got back from our girls hunt. Had a dang good time. We spent Thursday scouting and found most of the fresh sign in the Eastern quadrant between Chapa Rd and Brushline Rd. We put 7 miles on the boots and she never complained once! Not bad for an 11 year old. We set up on a pinch point Friday morning before sunrise. When the sun came up it was a zoo. My daughter shot a yearling bull at 470 yards and had several other opportunities. We went back to the same spot Friday evening and passed on a few cows and a pile of hogs. Went back to the same spot Saturday morning and it was crawling with critters. A dang good Whitetail stepped out at 370 yards and she let him have it. He piled up in the brush 20 yards away. We continued to sit waiting on anything else that might come out. 20 minutes later a mature Nilgai cow stepped out at 265 yards. I told her to turn the scope up and shoot it in the neck. Down it went. We continued to sit and 5 minutes later a 3 year old Nilgai Bull steeped out to investigate the dead Nilgai cow. Told her to let him have it in the neck and down he went. The 300 Norma did the trick! That was the fun and easy part. It took 3 hours to debone and pack out all three critters. We were .71 mile from the truck. It was a good thing I took a garden wagon with flat proof tires. I was able to load all three of them up and pack them out in 1 trip. My daughters friend and her dad set up just east of us Saturday afternoon and only had to sit for 2 hours before she smoked a mature bull that had 9 1/2” horns. She had several opportunities the day before but was holding out for a good one and it paid off! We elected to skip the last day and sleep in. It was such a fun hunt. I would do it again in a heart beat.

Comment

Originally posted by Static1968 View Post

Yes it was a B to do the gutless method especially in the dark. The hide was so tough. I was glad I had 4 knives with gut hooks.
      The Turkey vultures and coyotes did a number on the carcass. When we went back Sunday there was nothing left anywhere we could see around the cleaning site.
      355 yards is a **** good shot.Congrats to him.
      I guessed ours around 300 pounds also.
      Thanks "YAK"

I see you had some success on your Muzzleloader hunt, Congratulations. I will be headed to my lease this weekend with my Muzzleloader to try my luck.

Comment

Originally posted by JFRITZ06 View Post
        ​We just got back from our girls hunt. Had a dang good time. We spent Thursday scouting and found most of the fresh sign in the Eastern quadrant between Chapa Rd and Brushline Rd. We put 7 miles on the boots and she never complained once! Not bad for an 11 year old. We set up on a pinch point Friday morning before sunrise. When the sun came up it was a zoo. My daughter shot a yearling bull at 470 yards and had several other opportunities. We went back to the same spot Friday evening and passed on a few cows and a pile of hogs. Went back to the same spot Saturday morning and it was crawling with critters. A dang good Whitetail stepped out at 370 yards and she let him have it. He piled up in the brush 20 yards away. We continued to sit waiting on anything else that might come out. 20 minutes later a mature Nilgai cow stepped out at 265 yards. I told her to turn the scope up and shoot it in the neck. Down it went. We continued to sit and 5 minutes later a 3 year old Nilgai Bull steeped out to investigate the dead Nilgai cow. Told her to let him have it in the neck and down he went. The 300 Norma did the trick! That was the fun and easy part. It took 3 hours to debone and pack out all three critters. We were .71 mile from the truck. It was a good thing I took a garden wagon with flat proof tires. I was able to load all three of them up and pack them out in 1 trip. My daughters friend and her dad set up just east of us Saturday afternoon and only had to sit for 2 hours before she smoked a mature bull that had 9 1/2” horns. She had several opportunities the day before but was holding out for a good one and it paid off! We elected to skip the last day and sleep in. It was such a fun hunt. I would do it again in a heart beat.
        Way to go! Your girl can shoot! For those looking to apply in the future (DONT DO IT, lol)...place is shot out...HA!

Comment

What a great hunt. Congratulations to ya'll both and see you in a couple days.

Comment

Originally posted by red-fin View Post

What a great hunt. Congratulations to ya'll both and see you in a couple days.
            Yes Sir! Looking forward to it.

Comment

Awesome hunt. Congrats to all. That buck the young girl shot is fantastic. Congrats

Comment

That's awesome, congrats!

Comment

Working...
                X