LANWR- Laguna Atascosa Jan 05-09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LANWR- Laguna Atascosa Jan 05-09

A little late in starting this post, but wanted to connect with guys n' gals going on the Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge 2023-'24 archery hunt (whitetail + exotics)- January, 5th to 9th.

I going solo this time and wanted to share my experience leading up to, and will continue so during the hunt.

So far, I was doing great practicing and shooting 3 inch groups out to 60 yards. I got two setbacks about four weeks ago, one where I broke one of my toes and am slowly recovering from it. The second was that I decided to switch to a slider sight, from a fixed five pin sight. So I get a CBE Trek pro vertical pin sight; and while I was setting the 3rd axis, the post on my thumb release got caught in my jacket collar and I ended up dry-firing the bow. Needless to say, the string was a no-go, and had to get a new set.

Ordered a new set from Custom Catfish Custom Strings (thanks Mike) who sent me a great set - 3 weeks later, I'm back to the drawing board, re-tuning the bow, sight, peep sight, and all.
    Had to go up to Archery Country (Austin, TX) to fix my misbehaving peep (thanks Tank! for getting it set).
    Next, I start nock tuning each of my Easton Axis 300gn arrows - got everything in spec, except for two bad ones.
    Next day, I head out to one my friend's place to get some range time and get the sight pins dialed in. Light drizzle turns to stronger drizzle and I'm shooting 12 inch groups at 20 yards, just couldn't get proper form on the bow riser. Besides, I can't really get mad because every drop on the parched ground in Texas is a blessing.

So here we go, the next day I head back out on a bright sunny Saturday morning - start from 20 yards and go all the way up to 70 to dial in my sight tapes. Persistence paid off finally, started shooting 2 inch groups out to 60 yards. I also got my 70 yard shot dialed in on the up-down.
    I had marked every 10 yard shot on the blank - 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 - and it aligned well with the selected sight tape.

Really stoked for this hunt, now just for some daily range time for consistency.

If anyone wants to chime in on their archery preparation/challenges/plans - lets support each other here

Keep us posted. Hope you bring home some meat! Wish I could be there.

Comment

Shoot with a backpack on
      Shoot from your knees
      Practice crawling with your bow
      Purchase snake gaiters
      Tune your bow for your broadhead of choice
      Pack your bag for all day hunts - great movement mid day when all the lazies are at the truck

Comment

Permethrin permethrin permethrin

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
          Permethrin permethrin permethrin
          yes sir...spray it on(all your clothes) a week in advance and let it all dry.

Comment

I've heard rumors of axis and other exotics down there. Has anyone ever seen anything besides nilgai?

Comment

I’ll be there also feel pretty good shooting and be our 2nd time to draw good luck

Comment

My buddy and I will be there. Going down Wednesday and setting up shop at Adolph Thomae park.

My rotator cuff rehab is not going as well as planned so I'll be shooting the xbow. The one I have is 20 yrs old and slow. So I went out and bought a new one for this trip. A Centerpoint wrath 430x. Its a little on the heavy side but I got it all dialed in and it's a tack driver out to 70 yds. I haven't shot it beyond 70 yet but I do have pins to get me out to 100 if I feel the urge.

It wouldnt be a hunting trip if I didnt injure myself right before I leave so I got it outta the way early. I just smashed my thumb with a hammer about an hour ago. I think I may lose the thumbnail on this one. Hope it quits throbbing by next Friday!

Are we supposed to be getting another email with parking permits and an orientation video?

Comment

Shoot straight and shoot a bunch! label your arrows which one shoots the best and so on..

My Brother and I will be there for this one. I went last year solo, I didn't use permethrin on me or my clothes, I did take a thermacell seemed to work just fine. the mosquitos were pretty bad the first couple of days usually while biking is when they attacked me, once in blind with the thermacell no issues. Didn't get any ticks didn't even see any.

we are supposed to get an email with attachments maybe this week?!?

Pretty darn excited about this hunt myself.

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                    My buddy and I will be there. Going down Wednesday and setting up shop at Adolph Thomae park.

My rotator cuff rehab is not going as well as planned so I'll be shooting the xbow. The one I have is 20 yrs old and slow. So I went out and bought a new one for this trip. A Centerpoint wrath 430x. Its a little on the heavy side but I got it all dialed in and it's a tack driver out to 70 yds. I haven't shot it beyond 70 yet but I do have pins to get me out to 100 if I feel the urge.

It wouldnt be a hunting trip if I didnt injure myself right before I leave so I got it outta the way early. I just smashed my thumb with a hammer about an hour ago. I think I may lose the thumbnail on this one. Hope it quits throbbing by next Friday!

Are we supposed to be getting another email with parking permits and an orientation video?
                    Burn a hole in that thing and you wont have to worry about it. Instant relief.

Good luck yall! Ill be following.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post

Burn a hole in that thing and you wont have to worry about it. Instant relief.

Good luck yall! Ill be following.
                      Already burned it...now it just keep oozing blood. I may need a transfusion by Monday.

Comment

I had talked to the GW last month and he said he would email final set of instructions 10 days prior to the hunt. I haven't received anything yet, so will give him a call first thing tomorrow morning.

Comment

Good luck y’all. That place is a challenge and fun. Also if you’re looking for a hotel we stay at Port Isla Inn, good and cheap with full kitchens.

also you will most likely see them when the most tired and you least expect it…lol
                          Last edited by osochuck; 12-28-2023, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Called the GW this morning, but the line was answered by a volunteer. The GW is out till 2nd Jan, so we should be getting the rest of the documents after that - cutting it too close.

Comment

Originally posted by Nostradamus View Post
                              Called the GW this morning, but the line was answered by a volunteer. The GW is out till 2nd Jan, so we should be getting the rest of the documents after that - cutting it too close.
                              I just talked to the girl in the office and she said he sends them one week before so we should get them any day now, so who knows??
                              I'm gonna show up with or without them. They can sort it out when I get there on Thursday morning to scout, LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X