Az otc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Az otc

Anyone been/going to AZ in January? Curious as to what your experience has been with water in the Central/Southern parts of the state. Obviously, this is mostly weather dependent and I can only rely on maps so much without confirming with boots on the ground. Weighing carrying a couple of gallons in with me in addition to a full bladder and Nalgene. Also interested to hear if y’all would go long johns and puffy pants or just one of the two.

Water depends on location and the monsoons. From what I hear, this year is a bit dry. Last two years, most lower natural water sources I checked were dry, but there are lots of man made water sources, depending on where you are. You mention carrying in, so I presume your hiking in higher for Coues. Not much help there as I mainly look for mulies in the rollers and flats. That said, my son stalked to within 40yds of a giant Coues last year. Solid 120 inch 4x4. Wind ended up swirling as he waited for him to stand up and offer a shot.

I have yet to use any bottom base layers in the past two years, but I do take them since I'm truck based, I definately use upper layers and a softshell. I also end up wearing my puffy in camp after dark.

I'll be in AZ on 12/28 for a few.days of scouting then hunting 6 days. Good luck to you.

Comment

I appreciate the help. Good luck to you as well Sir.

Comment

Depending on your elevation it can get cold. We stayed in Patagonia one year and it was in the mid teens. If you are lower it gets cold at night but warms up. Mornings are cold. Southern Arizona is back in a drought so water will be iffy (I hunt mainly southern AZ). Natural water is probably dry but manmade should have water in them. I wear long johns at night and in the morning. Usually, I keep them on as it doesn't get too hot during the day.

If you are hunting southern AZ, I would consider being more mobile than packing in. Think of your truck as a bass boat. Drive, hike to higher elevations and glass. Spend time glassing from different vantage points. Mule deer are easier to see than Coues mainly I think because they are bigger and live in more sparse territory. Good luck. I'm not going out this year. I'm trying to retire to southern AZ but haven't sold my house or business yet. Maybe next year.

Comment

Good luck to everyone heading out to the desert. I'm kind of wishing I hadn't ditched my plans to go this year. But hopefully, staying here will get me living out there sooner. Post our successes, and failures. Specially the failures. I need to know I'm not alone.

Comment

I hunted 36b last year and the terrain is very rough. It is definitely do able to backpack in but it gets hot, even in January, and the terrain is so rough on your vehicle I would make sure you have 10 ply tires going over some of that terrain. Happy to share more details.

Comment

I’ve yet to go but I’m supposed to be doing a archery bear with hounds hunt in August in AZ. I’m pumped about it to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by wbroocks18 View Post
                I hunted 36b last year and the terrain is very rough. It is definitely do able to backpack in but it gets hot, even in January, and the terrain is so rough on your vehicle I would make sure you have 10 ply tires going over some of that terrain. Happy to share more details.
                Did you hunt the Wildlife Refuge or the east side? I've been up around Arivaca and on the refuge, mostly in A. I need to get down to that south area and look it over. That area between Arivaca and 19 looks dry and rough. I bet there are some good Coues in there for someone willing to hump it.

One January morning in Patagonia, I went to fold the soft top back on my truck cover and the plastic window split right in two. I knew it was cold but when I looked at the thermometer it was 14 degrees. It can get cold but it does warm up quick. By that afternoon I was in short sleeves.

I missed last year but I'm going back this coming January. Haven't decided if I will go for desert Mulies or Coues. I'm inclined to go for desert mulies.

Comment

Working...
                X