Matador WMA Deer Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matador WMA Deer Hunt

My dad and I just finished up the Gun Deer hunt on the Matador WMA. Hunt dates were 12/4-12/8. We had 21 loyalty points when we drew this year. We selected the Lone Canyon pasture and hunted it from Monday afternoon through Wednesday morning. We saw a total of 8 Whitetail does and 1 decent 4x4 Muley in Lone Canyon during those 2 days of hunting. After the Wednesday morning hunt, we switched to the North Middle Pasture. We hunted near the NE corner of the N Middle pasture in the draws that fed into the Shorty Pasture to the east. We saw better deer numbers in that area and we ended up harvesting 2 Whitetail bucks. From what we noticed, the deer would feed out of the cedar canyons into the open low country in the mornings and evenings. We also saw a good number of hogs in those draws as well. Furthermore, we spooked up a few coveys of quail in the grassy bottoms of the draws. Hope this is helpful for whoever gets to hunt the Matador in the future.

Very nice...congratulations!

Any pics?

Comment

Pics
      Last edited by goettee12; 12-08-2023, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Comment

Nice bucks, congrats.

Comment

Nice bucks!!!

Comment

Great advice! Congratulations to you both! Those are some fine bucks!

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Nice deer and congrats! Were many deer harvested by other hunters on this hunt segment?

Comment

Nice bucks!

Comment

Originally posted by ZINS708 View Post
                      Nice deer and congrats! Were many deer harvested by other hunters on this hunt segment?
                      Not really, hunting was slow. I think only 4 total deer harvested.

Comment

Working...
                      X