Brazos Bend SP Recap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brazos Bend SP Recap

Our group was drawn for the either sex hunt at Brazos Bend State Park in mid November. Surprisingly drawn because we only had 3 group preference point after being drawn a couple year ago at a different location. I was going to do a Live Hunt but got lazy so I thought I would do a quick recap for anyone who may hunt there in the future.

First off, staff is awesome. Park folks and the biologist want hunters to be successful and are very accommodating. As far as the hunt, you draw for blinds the first day and redraw halfway thru so folks get moved around. Staff hauls you to and from the stands on trailers with benches. Each location has a solid box stand (4X4 or 4x8) and each has a small hanging feeder. They had been feeding for over a month so helped keep deer in the area.

As anticipated, this is not a place or hunt where you should expect to shoot a 150” deer. Several solid bucks (4.5 yrs +) were taken but no studs. Over the 3 day hunt, I saw over 20 deer and 1 pig. Everyone had opportunities to shoot. I ended up shooting a doe on the first morning and a spike LATE on the last morning. I saw the one pig but he zipped across my shooting lane before I could get the gun up. Our group of 3 ended up with 4 deer and 1 pig. A good freezer filling trip.

Overall the staff were a little disappointed more deer weren’t shot. Final total was 19 deer and 6 pigs (30 hunters). I think several guys were passing does waiting for a buck. I would hunt here again in the future (maybe better as an antlerless hunt) and really appreciated the effort by the staff to put on a good hunt.

Thanks for the recap.

Comment

Sounds like a fun hunt! Congrats on the good venison!

Comment

Did they stress and re-stress the importance of the 13 inch rule and the consequences for coming up short?

Comment

Oh YES they did. And one was brought that didn’t meet the 13 inches. Sad because it was a 5.5 year old 9 point with a kicker but just at 12 inches. Game warden gave a ticket but was actually pretty decent about it. The first night he let a 12 7/8 inch deer pass. Said it was a good deer and right near 13. He said the 12 inches was just too narrow to let pass.

Comment

Ive tried several times for this draw but never got chosen. Being so close to houston, i bet they get a lot of attention!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommyh View Post
              Ive tried several times for this draw but never got chosen. Being so close to houston, i bet they get a lot of attention!
              It is a popular hunt. They no longer offer standby spots because so many folks were showing up AND as expected, some folks got grumpy when they weren’t picked or they didn’t like the standby process. They just got tired of the headaches so no more standby draws.

Comment

I was on this hunt, saw 7 different bucks with two of those being mature bot none were legal.

Comment

Sounds like a great hunt! Congrats on the meat haul!!

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBoy View Post
                    Oh YES they did. And one was brought that didn’t meet the 13 inches. Sad because it was a 5.5 year old 9 point with a kicker but just at 12 inches. Game warden gave a ticket but was actually pretty decent about it. The first night he let a 12 7/8 inch deer pass. Said it was a good deer and right near 13. He said the 12 inches was just too narrow to let pass.
                    Did he confiscate the deer too?

Comment

Confiscated the head. Let the hunter keep the meat. Had all of the discussions with the hunter in private and didn’t embarrass or make a big deal out of it. GW handled it very well I thought. Rules are rules….

Comment

Thanks for the write up and congrats on the harvest!

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post

Did he confiscate the deer too?
                          That's wild that 7/8" caused so much trouble on a 5.5 year old deer. But I understand it too. He couldn't let that go in front of all the other hunters. It sets a bad precedent.

Comment

Thanks for post, what about the gators, we visited once and there were a crazy amount of them, kids loved it

Comment

It was cool during the hunt but saw several large gators going to the stand. And let’s just say they don’t have trouble getting rid of the guts from the cleaning station. Said they run them out and just put them at the edge of the water. They said they are generally gone within a matter of hours.

Comment

Working...
                              X