Hunting Cibola N.F. in New Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting Cibola N.F. in New Mexico

Anyone have any information on elk hunting the Cibola National Forest? Specifically, the "Ol' Man Ranch". I may have a chance to hunt there next year and would like to have some idea of what to expect.
    Thanks

No information on Cibola N.F. from anyone?

Comment

17 is a big bull unit, state archery record breaks its self there, its basically a high desert unit with a West mountain range and East mountain range and alot of lower rolling hills in between. Access is good. As far as ol mountain ranch never heard if it.

I’ve hunted Mule deer there 5x and bought an elk voucher once. I passed on several good 270’ish -300 ish bulls, while chasing a 370 ish bull.

I prefer to hunt the mags.

Comment

Online looks like it is for sale and in area 10, not 17.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
          Online looks like it is for sale and in area 10, not 17.
          I knew Cibola spanned 17 and a little 13 but didnt realize it went into 10. Learned something new.

Comment

I had heard the area holds big bulls, but couldn't find much online. I was hoping someone had hunted either the ranch or close in the N.F.
            Some sites say it a rough area and some say its easy.
            I see the ranch is for sale so my invite to hunt may not work out.

Comment

Thanks for the input. If anyone has anything else to add, please do.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Comment

That's either unit 10 or 12 based on the add. There's some good bulls in that country. Based on my research it's a hard unit to hunt on the public side due to access and scattered herds. I've considered applying but haven't committed yet.

I did have a hunt booked with Keith Williams but covid killed that. He puts people on good private land bulls every year.

A 13k ranch is above average for out there so I'd like my chances.

Hope you get to go and best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post

I knew Cibola spanned 17 and a little 13 but didnt realize it went into 10. Learned something new.
                  Technically, the Cibola covers portions of units 8, 9, 10, 13, 14, 38, 47, 58, and 59!

Comment

Yeah , hoping it works out and we get some nice pics.

Comment

17 is a big bull unit, state archery record breaks its self there,
                      Ran into the guy who was the guide for state record, quite the @sshole he was and territorial, makes me wonder if we were close to where that bull was taken. 17 was in a drought back then and we had a bad hunt but it has some toad mulies and big bull but not the population density of some of the good units, I think the reason it produces some trophies is because its a archery only and short muzzleloader season, no rifle season there.
                      Last edited by SC-001; 11-26-2023, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                        Yeah , hoping it works out and we get some nice pics.
                        I hope it all works out and I get to post some nice pictures. I'm still searching the web for anything I can find. Again, thanks for all the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by SC-001 View Post

Ran into the guy who was the guide for state record, quite the @sshole he was and territorial, makes me wonder if we were close to where that bull was taken. 17 was in a drought back then and we had a bad hunt but it has some toad mulies and big bull but not the population density of some of the good units, I think the reason it produces some trophies is because its a archery only and shot muzzleloader season, no rifle season there.
                          this years 400+er’s winter range’ ranch is little over 1/2 mile west of the west side access to the Mags

Last edited by Texans42; 11-24-2023, 05:15 PM.

Comment

I'd be happy with a 330"!

Comment

this years 400+er’s winter range’ ranch is little over 1/2 mile west of the west side access to the Mags
                              PM incoming db@100

Comment

Working...
                              X