BBD_Public

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBD_Public

Hard work, determination, observation, and precision execution.

18.5" inside 10ptr

No bait.
    Cat and mouse

This is bowhunting!
    27yds through trees with no cut shooting lanes. Squeezed it in a 12" opening just after mouth blatting to get him to stop. I'll post the full story if Gmail will pull up my email. I attached too many photos and I think the Mb Gods are looking it over.
    Attached Files

That’s awesome. Congratulations.

Comment

Congrats! Real accomplishment there!

Comment

Congrats Super nice buck and on public!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Awesome

Comment

Awesome buck!!!!

Congrats!!!!

Bisch

Comment

Congrats

Nice buck

Comment

Nice one

Comment

He's a beauty!

Comment

Nice lookin' buck. Congratulations!!

Comment

Nicely placed shot. Congratulations on a nice buck.

Comment

The rut is starting here in Central Texas. I hunted a spot last week where I found at least 50 early season rubs in a concentrated area, about 50 square yards. The morning only yielded 1 lone doe about 1030. I have been satellite scouting for some time in this area.

At 1230 I decided to climb down and slowly skirt woodline funnel about 50-100 yards wide with a creek bed paralleling it. The woods are a mix of 2-3 diameter trees with mature pecan trees 24-30 diameter mixed in.

This area has a lot of hog sign with well travelled trail. As I was walking the trail I found 3 small scrapes about the size of a dinner plate. Without any sound cover, I decided to circle back to the narrowest point and find a tree. The only tree with suitable shooting lanes was a small 6" diameter guy. I could only climb 12ft up and keep good lanes.

Settled in around 330, I immediately could see deer traveling over my left shoulder about 70yds away. Each deer came and went from the same area. Coming from the woods to the tree point going through the transition.

At 445 I look left and a very nice chocolate antler buck was 20yds away. He skirted some grass and disappeared behing a blowdown at 40 yds. I softly grunted and he took a 90deg left turn in my direction. He came directly behind me and started to browse. I was contemplating yardage, drew with him quartering away and missed my opportunity. I didn't blat. Didn't even think about it. He was at 37yds and disappeared exactly where the deer were earlier. This time he payed no attention to the grunt.

Aggrevated at myself, I settled back into the saddle and started scanning again. 30 minutes later a small spike took the exact same path as the chocolate buck earlier. 10 minutes after that a small 4 point caught me off guard as he snuck in behind me. They also went to the same area as the other deer.

That's it, my mind was made. I have to find a place further up to be in a better position for these deer travel route. Night came and I made my long dark walk back to the truck. I spent all week on Google Maps, Google Earth, and OnX planning this weekends hunt.

I was slightly bummed to be going in blind again not knowing exactly where I would hunt or even if I could find a tree in the dark. What about shooting lanes. Yep, so many things, but I knew I had to be in the woods with the rut. 330am this morning came early.

Out of bed at 230am, shower and driving clothes on. Out the door at 330, arrived at parking at 430. 1hr hike in. Once I get to where all the deer were moving, no trees grabbed my heart. I started walking at an angle away from the funnel and came to a small grassy clearing about 20yds long. At the end were some large pecan trees I could see with my headlamp. This was the spot, now, where is a tree. One small tree stood out next to a spike tree. I would need to trim a limb and then I could get about 12ft up. Once in the tree it was only about 6" in diameter but split into two small 4" trunks. This was my height. I tied in and got setup by 610. I pulled off my quick dry shirt, placed it in a ziplock bag and donned my scentlock aero shirt. At this point I realized I had forgotten my head cover, crap.

As darkness transitioned the woods awoke to the sound of duck hunters 300yds away blasting. At 720am 2 small 4pt bucks came in from direction of duck hunters. I was able to watch one work a licking branch and then freshen up a scrape. 5 minutes later they vanished behind me. As the dew fell body chill arrived. It was time to put on my Savanah Scentlok jacket.

I put on the jacket and was fixing to zip it up when I looked up. At the end of the grassy opening a nice buck was fixing to step out from under branches into the open. As I reached for my bow he spotted me and we had a stare down. He finally decided he didn't like me and backed up to circle. He went from my 11 o'clock position all the way counterclockwise to 7 oclock. Shooting lanes were crap, but there was 1 small opening. When he reached it, I blatted, he stopped and the arrow flew. It sounded like a pinball game clinking limbs. The buck bounded away 10 yards and blew. Then he walked away blowing taking my heart with him. The limb my arrow hit I could see now which wasn't obvious through my peep sight. I grunted at the buck 3 times and settled back in to focus.

At 830 a twig snaps behind me. I turn to look and a wide chocolate horned buck is headed my way. He is coming to the exact spot I had just shot at the other buck shortly before. I draw my bow. He stops where the other buc was, smells the ground and starts to turn the same direction. Just then some dogs start barking North of us and you can here pigs squeel. The buck turns and starts walking straight at me in 7 oclock position. I am still at full draw. 8 yards away he turns left and heads behind some thick limb trees. I start scanning his trajectory and where I could possibly squeeze a shot through. I find a hole about 12" square. As the buck steps into it I blat, he stops, and I shoot. The arrow hits the target square in his shoulder and he runs. I watch him go out of sight at 50yds under the pecans. The next 10 minutes were spent straining my ears. 30 minutes later I here coughing and then splash. He made it to the big creek. I could hear the thrashing of him trying to get out, then, silence.

1hr and 15 minutes later I climb down to find my arrow, to no avail. Blood was no where to be seen until I got under the pecans, then small spots and dots. I follwed the blood for 40yds and it stopped. Marking the spot with my jacket I proceeded the remaining 20 yards to the creek bank to peak. My heart sank. No buck visible either direction. Ok Justin, I said, you are going to find this deer. I start walking the bank looking for blood or tracks where he entered. 10 yards North almost directly in line with last blood I spotted him floating in the creek. Just part of rib cage and right side antler showing. I did it! The next hour and half were spent quartering him up and prepping for the pack out.

Man I wished I didn't swap backpacks. The smaller Kuiu bag didn't have tge same carry capacity and bells/whistles as my Pro Kuiu pack. All 4 quarters in the bag and strap the heads and backstaps on the outside...too heavy to pick up. Head and backstraps come off and I have to tote this game bag separately. I end up leaving my saddle, platform and climbing sticks in the woods to help conserve weight. 2.5hrs later I get to the truck.

Comment

Congratulations on a nice buck, the write up is excellent!

Comment

Congratulations on a good buck with a great story.

Comment

Working...
                              X