Youth Feral Hog @ Mad Island WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youth Feral Hog @ Mad Island WMA

My 2 Daughters drew the Feral Hog Hunt at Mad Island WMA 12/2-3/23.

I searched for it on here but not finding anything at all really. The search function has been garbage since the site "Upgrade" awhile back...

Has anyone done this hunt? It says ATV's are allowed and recommended but not absolutely needed to participate in the hunt. We do not have one but I do have a 4X4 truck. We're looking forward to it. Everything I've been able to find online only talks about the duck hunting down there.

Please advise of any need to know info if you have any...

Thanks y'all!

I've hunted it many times, hogs were everywhere. Most success seemed to be the stands that are close to the intercostal channel, no idea why. It may be because it funnels to them past the stands. ATV are nice but not necessary. If you don't have an ATV make sure you take a game cart. TPWD bait the areas well before the hunts, take corn since they don't bait heavy.

Comment

Thank you!!!

Comment

Woke up this morning to TPWD email. Stepson got 2nd draw for youth at Mad Island. Myself and a buddy were drawn for the adult hunt in April. We also have been looking for info or a email address to see if we could get map of stand locations but have found just a few youtube vids so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Static1968 View Post
          Woke up this morning to TPWD email. Stepson got 2nd draw for youth at Mad Island. Myself and a buddy were drawn for the adult hunt in April. We also have been looking for info or a email address to see if we could get map of stand locations but have found just a few youtube vids so far.
          Congrats to the kiddo. I still haven't seen much info besides what Iowa1210 shared(which is good info).

Comment

As mentioned before, a lot of hogs. No need for ATV. But as with most hog hunting, weather will play a big role.

Comment

Anyone know if the blinds are permanent box blinds or pop-up type? Looks like it may be wet this weekend.

Comment

Box blinds. I contacted the WMA yesterday.

Comment

Take comfortable swivel chairs, blinds have metal folding chairs.

Comment

I've never hunted hogs there but I've been duck hunting there for years. An ATV would be helpful but it's not necessary. They often mow paths to the blinds to make the walking a little easier. That being said, there are wild hogs and domestic cattle on that property and depending on where you need to walk, the paths can be pretty torn up and uneven. Make sure you all have some good boots that go above the ankle so you don't step in a hole and hurt yourself. All of the blinds I've seen are box blinds, some elevated. A large of portion of the property is brackish marsh so mosquitos might be a pain. I usually carry of couple of thermocells with me for that reason. Probably won't need to worry about this but there are gators on the property as well so be careful near water. Good luck and post some photos when you're done!

Comment

My younger daughter got a stud! Older daughter struck out. Out of 11 kiddos, 3 hogs were taken. Awesome place with a great setup! Will put in again! Lower success rate than usual is what the Hunt Coordinator said...
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Yakinthebox; 12-07-2023, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Static1968 View Post
                        Box blinds. I contacted the WMA yesterday.
                        Good meeting you static! Thanks for the help lifting that hog!

Comment

Originally posted by Yakinthebox View Post
                          My younger daughter got a stud! Older daughter struck out. Out of 11 kiddos, 3 hogs were taken. Awesome place with a great setup! Will put in again! Lower success rate than usual is what the Hunt Coordinator said...
                          Congrats!

Did you make it out to Keechi? Do they have water? Many ducks using it?

I drew the waterfowl hunt in January.

Please keep me posted on how you do.

Send me a PM if you'd like. For some reason I can't send you a PM.

TIA​

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post

Congrats!

Did you make it out to Keechi? Do they have water? Many ducks using it?

I drew the waterfowl hunt in January.

Please keep me posted on how you do.

Send me a PM if you'd like. For some reason I can't send you a PM.

TIA​
                            I didn't! I'm bummed about it. Got moved to a different shift at work. I've got a waterfowl hunt at Nannie Stringfellow in January that I drew and it's a conflict now too. May burn vacation for it though...
                            Last edited by Yakinthebox; 12-18-2023, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakinthebox View Post

Good meeting you static! Thanks for the help lifting that hog!
                              Same to you yakinthebox and glad I could help. I bet it was a chore getting him back to your truck. Myself and a buddy get to go back in April for redemption.

Comment

Working...
                              X