Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting the rut

Hi all,

I took a gander at the forecast and decided to take a little "rut-cation". Planning on hunting Thursday evening to Saturday afternoon on public land in southern Oklahoma (bow hunting).

I'm pretty familiar with this specific WMA, but I honestly don't have a ton of experience hunting during the full-on rut (which is what I'm expecting this weekend). I know of several bedding areas, both for does and bucks. I also know of some active scrapes and pretty major travel corridors. I have several mature, shooter-bucks on camera and know the general areas they occupy. I'm having a hard time deciding how to approach the hunt though.

What should my general approach be? Should I be looking at setting up in tight cover, right on travel corridors? Or would you set up on a field edge, where you could potentially see a cruising buck at a distance? In the evening, should I be targeting oaks that are actively dropping acorns, like I would in October?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Woke up at 2am this morning going over all this in my head.​

Full rut. The bucks could be anywhere and everywhere. Find a good setup where you think does will be.and sit all day.

Comment

For me, I would be on the field edge of a popular field. It will be a hub for bucks that aren't actively on a doe, and they will be responsive to calls/rattling

Comment

Hunt the does. Either their food or their bed. Get in thick cover stay away from “seeing a bunch”

Comment

Working...
        X