Hunting Public Land Next to High Fence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting Public Land Next to High Fence

Was curious if anyone has any experience with this? I’ve had friends on leases whose bordering property put up a high fence and harvest numbers nosedived. I’d like to hunt a point that pushes up next to a high fence hoping bucks will funnel through, but would like to know everyone’s experience’s positive and negative - thank you!

Not public land, but our lease has a high fence bordering one side. As to its impact right after installation, I have no idea - it has been there for years. But, we are less concerned about feeding/growing deer that will be harvested elsewhere on that side of the property - they can't go further east to be harvested by someone else. We have several acres bordered by a small creek on the west and the high fence on the east that we stay out of, keeping it as a bedding area/sanctuary for the deer so they feel absolutely no pressure there.

Comment

I’ve seen some really good deer not 5 feet from the high fence at Chaparral on both sides of the fence. My wife shot a nice 10 point during the archery hunt there last season 200 yards from the fence.

Comment

Tpwd needs to ban high fences. I’m ruining all my pants using that battery acid.

Comment

I was once on a Lease in East Texas that on my 3rd year on the property the adjoining Property installed a High Fence that went half way down our east line and then turned north. Being the last person added to the lease, my Stand location was near the East Property line and not in a very good spot as the Choice spots were already taken. After the High fence was installed, the Deer were funneled right to my Stand location and it went from the worst Stand to the best Stand in one year. Everyone wanted to hunt my spot and I saw a lot of deer after fence was installed. So it really depends on the situation whether it hurts you or helps you.

Comment

We hunted a place that was high fenced for a peach orchard, the blinds on each end where deer had to cross was the hotspots.

Comment

Neighbors high fenced on my north side and it put a whammy on the number of deer I saw for years. It was not to fence anyone out but so they could put some exotics on the place. However it disrupted some major N/S travel corridors

These days the numbers are back and we see some decent bucks, they now travel more E/W

As for your original question, I know of one WMA where the neighbor high fenced the common boundary. The desired effect backfired on the private landowner and he wished he never spent the money on it. Seems his place did not provide what the deer needed so they left. The ones that had been coming onto him from the WMA no longer could get to his side

Comment

Working...
              X