LANWR - Bahia Grande - What is it like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LANWR - Bahia Grande - What is it like?

I got drawn for the archery exotic hunt this year, but have never been before. For those that have been, what is it like? Open, thick, swampy, dry, etc... Do I need knee boots? What other special gear would you recommend down there? Thanks in advance!

Bump for the morning crowd

Comment

I did the muzzleloader hunt last year and it was tough! Most of the hunters had ebikes but I was on foot. The terrain is a mix of somewhat open areas with plenty of thick stuff in between. I would definitely recommend snake boots or snake gaters if it is warm. I only saw a few cows and one bull within 100 yards in 3 days. A few of the guys we ran into were successful and at least 2 bulls were taken on that hunt. I think the archery tough will be challenging for sure but hopefully it’s the first hunt and they haven’t been hunted yet this year.

Comment

Originally posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
        I did the muzzleloader hunt last year and it was tough! Most of the hunters had ebikes but I was on foot. The terrain is a mix of somewhat open areas with plenty of thick stuff in between. I would definitely recommend snake boots or snake gaters if it is warm. I only saw a few cows and one bull within 100 yards in 3 days. A few of the guys we ran into were successful and at least 2 bulls were taken on that hunt. I think the archery tough will be challenging for sure but hopefully it’s the first hunt and they haven’t been hunted yet this year.
        Thanks! Is it dry or swampy? The aerial shows a bunch of water. I can wear knee boots if necessary, but I would prefer to not have to walk miles in them.

Comment

Originally posted by TxBowHntr View Post

Thanks! Is it dry or swampy? The aerial shows a bunch of water. I can wear knee boots if necessary, but I would prefer to not have to walk miles in them.
          It isn’t swampy at all from what I experienced. There is a lot of water but I never saw a need to get wet…there is a canal near the front and to the right that you could get muddy/wet if you wanted to cross but the bottom is very soft so I wouldn’t try it.

Comment

Bump for more info. Share if you got it

Comment

I have no info to give but my group drew on second draw and will be down there December 15-17

Comment

Originally posted by Boone11 View Post
                I have no info to give but my group drew on second draw and will be down there December 15-17
                I'll fill you in on my hunt when I get back. I'll be there 12/8-12/11.

Comment

Good Luck on your hunt this weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by Boone11 View Post
                    Good Luck on your hunt this weekend!
                    Just responded to your PM. Feel free to call me to discuss. I was so close on a couple different encounters, but couldn't quite get it done. I'm happy to share my waypoints, and what I learned.

Comment

Heading out solo for the Dec. 15-17th hunt at Bahia Grande.
                      Good Luck to all.

Comment

How'd y'all's hunts go? My group will be there Jan 18. Any info y'all wouldn't mind sharing? It will be our first time there.

Comment

I did the muzzleloader hunt and took this guy at 10 yds. I wish I had a bow. It’s a fun hunt. No need to worry about the water but snake boots if it’s warm.

Comment

Working...
                          X