2023 Neches River WMA - Doe down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2023 Neches River WMA - Doe down!

Did not see an ongoing thread here so figured I would post one. I drew the Dead Water unit and our morning meeting was yesterday. Turn out was lower than expected.

Saw some deer yesterday on a scouting sit and connected this morning on a doe!

Walked in this morning and found a good looking spot off an old oxbow. Climbed a pine I found that looked like it was on a trail and when it got light I was correct. Setting up unknown tree in the dark is challenging and if the deer had not walked right down that trail I probably would not have had a shot!

Congrats. Warm weather will make it tough. Wish I had drawn.

keep us updated!

Comment

I will. The heat certainly is making it tougher but the animals seem to be moving. I hiked further in this evening but nothing so far.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2519.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	26617796

Pic of the doe!

Comment

Congrats!! I have Walnut Branch next week. I drew dead water last year and setup in the back and had great sign but I was only able to hunt a couple days.

Comment

My view for today!

Comment

I put in for all of them but missed the draw. Drive there all the time hope to hunt it one day

Comment

Love it when a plan comes together. Good job

Comment

That south wind will be brutal on deer movement. Good luck!

Comment

That's awesome! An old public land doe is a trophy. I'll be out there the first week of January for our draw hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
                      That south wind will be brutal on deer movement. Good luck!
                      The south wind was tough. There was a lot of sign but movement was a bit less than you would expect for what was seen. Also the heat made hiking with gear to find spots a challenge as well.

I wish the upcoming cold front had hit a week earlier.

i did finally get on a buck but he was a two year old who had decent horns for his age but was only 10-11” wide.

Comment

Originally posted by CrossTimbers View Post
                        That's awesome! An old public land doe is a trophy. I'll be out there the first week of January for our draw hunt.
                        What hunt did you draw? There is a lot of game in that bottom. I would like to go back hunting to other animals at some point.

Comment

Working...
                        X