LBJ Grasslands 23-24 Public Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LBJ Grasslands 23-24 Public Hunting Thread

Well, I started one since I hadn't seen any.

Hunted Tuesday of this week. It was cool in the morning and calm. Had the deer up and moving. I did a combo spot/stalk and scout. Saw 15. Two shooter bucks and one other I wasn't sure about. Busted by the doe. It's dang near impossible to stalk a group of does when it is calm. I had a buck in the thick stuff at about 40 yards. Wasn't sure of his size. I went to range him and he saw me move. Not a lot of sign. A few rubs but no scrapes seen.

Had a good time and put in about in about 9.5 miles.

Glad to see there is a thread for this, I’ve been out 2 or 3 times, no luck yet.

Comment

Thanks for starting the 23-24 thread! I've seen a few deer, lots of sign and in some places unexpected sign. Always enjoyable to get out there. Good luck to all!

Comment

Yall might as well stay home. I killed the last buck up there in 1997. Ain't nothing but squirrels now. Occasional rabbit if you're lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
          Yall might as well stay home. I killed the last buck up there in 1997. Ain't nothing but squirrels now. Occasional rabbit if you're lucky.
          I have half a mind to believe you, LBJ has been rough on me so far. I’ve got Benbrook coming up though, it’s looking promising.

Comment

LBJ buck killed 10-15-23. I shot a doe on the 12th as well. They have been moving on acorns pretty hard.

Comment

Nice deer Troy. I've noticed they are moving to the acorns. I was going to hunt water this Thursday but guess what...

Mike, I may hunt those squirrels. Next one that busts me on a stalk is gonna get a hot sharp stick.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                Nice deer Troy. I've noticed they are moving to the acorns. I was going to hunt water this Thursday but guess what...

Mike, I may hunt those squirrels. Next one that busts me on a stalk is gonna get a hot sharp stick.
                Take a WristRocket. Save on arras.

Comment

Nice buck Troy and best of luck OP

Comment

Have any of y’all seen turkeys moving or signs of turkeys this fall ?

Comment

Does anyone have any information on this wall? ie when was it built, by who etc....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stone wall sm.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	26673134
                      ​​​
                      Attached Files

Comment

Old house foundation?

Comment

Was in a dry but larger creek bed on the LBJ Grasslands.

Comment

Small dam, water retaining?

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                              Small dam, water retaining?
                              That's what I'm thinking. Prob early 1900s. Bet Froggy knows where it's at.

Froggy

Comment

Working...
                              X