Where would you set up???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where would you set up???

A few weeks ago, I located a really nice buck on public land. I have some pics of him, and on Monday morning, I had a really close encounter from my saddle, but he just would not give me a shot. I'm headed out to hunt this evening and tomorrow morning and I'd love some advice.

You'll see the general area in the attached image. The blue circle is his general bedding area. The yellow circle is a little patch of oak trees. This is where I almost got a shot at him. The icon with the hoof prints notes a scrape. That morning, I could hear him making that scrape and scraping brush just to the west of oaks I was set up in (yellow circle). He came in from the west, fed in the exact spots I couldn't shoot, then got just down wind from me, and walked out south. There are other scrapes, to the southeast that you can see, but I don't know if he's been hitting those or not. The light blue arrows, show the general wind direction for the next 24 hours, fluctuating between NW and W (pretty light).

If you were me, would you set up in the same spot, just maybe a little further south? Would you try and push in closer to his bedding area? Or setup right on the scrape?

I'd like to hang from a tree, but hunting from the ground is also an option. The open areas are full of tall grass cover, so I could always crouch down by a shrub if the wind is just right.

Any advice would be appreciated!

I would look at where he exited the patch of oaks and set up there. From your description and map layout I would be willing to bet he was headed to check those other scrapes.

Comment

Originally posted by C.Read View Post
      I would look at where he exited the patch of oaks and set up there. From your description and map layout I would be willing to bet he was headed to check those other scrapes.
      Good call. Maybe just south of where I set up before. Hopefully he'll be coming from the north or west again.

Comment

Working...
      X