La Sal Del Rey Youth Gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

La Sal Del Rey Youth Gun

My kids got drawn for this TPWD hunt in January. No idea what to expect or how to go about attacking it. If any of you have experience there, I’d appreciate some pointers. We’re going to Laguna Atascosa in two weeks, so I’ll at least swing by to take a peek at the place. Thanks in advance.

My boys drew the hunt Thanksgiving week, so tagging along on here listening too. Hopefully we can give you a rundown after they're hunt.

Comment

My son drew this hunt a couple years ago. He harvested a decent Bull. We saw several Nilgai and some very nice deer. We only got one day in to hunt due to weather. Rained the rest of the hunt after the first day. I would suggest to park on Chapa Rd. North side of the Unit. Walk in on the main trail, There is a ridge line about a mile in that we set up on and glassed. Saw most the animals from that ridge and then made stalks on them. This is a really fun hunt, lots of game. Enjoy.

Comment

if we can make ours work, i will have my wife with me, possibly with us huning as an adult supervisor, but maybe not, how safe is that area down there right now around edinburgh/raymondville, where the hotels are?

would port mansfield be a better place to stay and just put up with the drive everyday?

we drew the new years eve weekend hunt and already had plans for that weekend, so i have some convincing to do...
        Last edited by jshouse; 10-03-2023, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Tagging along on this thread too. My son drew the 12/15-12/17 hunt. Im curios on where to stay too.

Comment

Congrats and good luck to all who drew...... Was hoping my son would draw this one but there is always next year

Comment

Originally posted by piercebronkite View Post
              Tagging along on this thread too. My son drew the 12/15-12/17 hunt. Im curios on where to stay too.
              Air BnB in Edinburgh, all the hotels in Raymondville are on the hwy , port Mansfield housing is expensive and restaurants limited
              this ranch house is $100 per night

Attached Files
              Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 10-03-2023, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Take coolers!!!! La Sal Del Rey should present the easiest chance to harvest a nilgai or multiple. I hunted there a couple years ago and shot 3. Place is loaded with them! I bet I saw over a hundred in 3 days. Could’ve shot 20 that were within 75 yards of me on several occasions.
                shooting sticks, chair, and binos is all I carried. Would sit under a tree and just watch them walk by.

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                  Take coolers!!!! La Sal Del Rey should present the easiest chance to harvest a nilgai or multiple. I hunted there a couple years ago and shot 3. Place is loaded with them! I bet I saw over a hundred in 3 days. Could’ve shot 20 that were within 75 yards of me on several occasions.
                  shooting sticks, chair, and binos is all I carried. Would sit under a tree and just watch them walk by.
                  ive seen oryx mentioned down there in some old threads, did you see any or have you heard that?
                  Last edited by jshouse; 10-03-2023, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                    I'm glad to hear that. My 15 year old is pumped about stalking but my 11 year old ain't quite up to that just yet. Plan on putting him and mom in popup with a tripod for gun so he can shoot her .308...It's a bit big for him to shoot off sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post

Air BnB in Edinburgh, all the hotels in Raymondville are on the hwy , port Mansfield housing is expensive and restaurants limited
                      this ranch house is $100 per night

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/8094775...7-40865c33b85e
                      S-3 Ranch,
                      Thanks for the info on this Air BNB. We just booked it for the New year's weekend hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Static1968 View Post

S-3 Ranch,
                        Thanks for the info on this Air BNB. We just booked it for the New year's weekend hunt.
                        Going in to book too. Looks perfect and only bout 15 miles away

Comment

Originally posted by Static1968 View Post

S-3 Ranch,
                          Glad to hear, hope everyone kills a nilgai

this place has room for parking trailers and a pool table
                          I hate leaving my trailer in a hotel parking lot and not having a place to cook and hang out
                          Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 10-04-2023, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Got the air bnb booked for the boys hunt 11/24-11/26. I called down to the NWR and volunteer answering phone said no orientation or even check in. So, we just print our permits and go hunt? It's about 3 hours from Victoria, so we hope to run down that Monday before and do some scouting?

Comment

I hunted there a couple years ago. I saw Lots of nilgai and killed one. GW begged me to shoot more. I killed one out of a group of about a dozen. I can probably pin point where they were but who know where they will be.

Comment

Working...
                              X