Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Southern OK Public Hunting

Hi all,

This is the first year I will be purchasing an OK license. There are several WMAs within an hour and a half of my place - Cross Timbers, Wa****a Arm, Tishomingo, Hickory Creek, Blue River, etc.

I know it's not Texas hunting, but I'd love to hear anyone's general impressions of any of these areas, suggestions, warnings, etc.

I'm planning on steering clear of areas that allow rifle hunting during their general season.

Not looking for specific spots, I'll do that for myself, but just general information. Thank y'all!

I've been to Blue River and Tishomingo and had a small lease right down the road from both. I have not hunted either though. The hunting on my lease which was kind of right between the two wma was ok but there were a lot of small parcels around and I had problems with neighbor's dogs always running through our place scaring everything off. Blue River was packed with people fishing, swiming etc when I went. Kind of like the Guadalupe river in TX. I'd also consider Arbuckle Springs WMA in that same general area. I did some hiking/scouting there before they opened it up to hunting the first year. That's a really cool spot and I was planning on hunting it but ended up finding another lease closer instead. Due to the layout and the rough terrain it seems like you would be able to get in away from a lot of pressure there.

Comment

My only advice is to be mindful of youth rifle and muzzleloader seasons (if those are legal in those WMAs). Youth rifle wasn’t too bad at the WMA I hunted, but the muzzleloader hunt brought out some real bozos. I’d just not waste my time and let them have those three weeks, would be my advice. November weather is much more pleasant anyway.

Comment

Working...
      X