Meredith crowds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meredith crowds?

How crowded is Meredith for opening rifle weekend for mulie season?

Very crowded.

Comment

It used to be nice but people started posting about it and next thing you know it was swarming with people. I skipped out on it the last 2 years because it had gotten ridiculous. It’s one thing to see 14 people within a mile of the trail head. It it’s another when you see 14 all the way back in Evans which is a 4-5 mile hike depending on the route you take. People camping all over the backcountry so it pushes the deer to private right away. In 2020 there were people walking in the bottoms of the canyons opening day back and forth until dark. Plus with mild weather every weekend warrior is out there. One year it was snowing with freezing temperatures all day and night and nobody was there. That was a good trip. The other yeees were just like hiking a trail in Colorado during the summer, full of people. I honestly see less people hunting OTC units in CO than I have at Meredith.

Comment

Originally posted by jmack82 View Post
        It used to be nice but people started posting about it and next thing you know it was swarming with people. I skipped out on it the last 2 years because it had gotten ridiculous. It’s one thing to see 14 people within a mile of the trail head. It it’s another when you see 14 all the way back in Evans which is a 4-5 mile hike depending on the route you take. People camping all over the backcountry so it pushes the deer to private right away. In 2020 there were people walking in the bottoms of the canyons opening day back and forth until dark. Plus with mild weather every weekend warrior is out there. One year it was snowing with freezing temperatures all day and night and nobody was there. That was a good trip. The other yeees were just like hiking a trail in Colorado during the summer, full of people. I honestly see less people hunting OTC units in CO than I have at Meredith.
        I understand people wanting to share their successes in hunting etc. but as you state above when people start sharing, there goes their honey hole to everyone’s.

Comment

What's the permit cost these days? Been so many years since I've been out there.

Comment

We camp there going back and forth to Wyoming sometimes and I'd considered laying over a few days to hunt, but figured anything OTC in Texas was probably a ****show.

Comment

We camp there going back and forth to Wyoming sometimes and I'd considered laying over a few days to hunt, but figured anything OTC in Texas was probably a ****show.

Comment

Went one time roughly 15 years ago. When the sun came up I thought someone had painted the hillside orange. I hunt public land in other states alot and the amount here was insane. Then watched a guy miss a deer 7 times at 75 yards, game warden said he had given two tickets to guys shooting deer IN the actual camp ground, decided that was my first and last time there.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                  What's the permit cost these days? Been so many years since I've been out there.
                  I thought it was free.

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post

I thought it was free.
                    You're right. It had been so long I was thinking there was a few like Amistad.

Comment

Working...
                    X