Laguna Atascosa NWR Gun Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laguna Atascosa NWR Gun Deer

My group has been drawn for this hunt on 12/8/2023 - 12/10/2023. This is a gun hunt. Im an sponge any info is welcome.

I'll be one of many going down on the archery hunt on 11/10-11/14. Im sure a lot of info can be had from people posting during that hunt.

Comment

My group was also drawn for the 12/8-12/10 gun hunt. And we drew the 11/10-11/14 archery hunt. The bow hunts going to be a challenge, but also a good scouting opportunity.

Comment

Find the piles of fresh poop and sit them if you want a nilgai.

Comment

All you need is chairs, rifle and shooting sticks. Laguna is open enough in enough places to post up and pick off nilgai at will. Congrats on a great draw

Comment

I drew the January rifle hunt. Hopefully cooler weather will keep the snakes, gators, and skeeters at bay!

Comment

My daughter was drawn for the TYHP rifle hunt in October. Hopefully we’ll have some info we can share soon. I’m reading anything and everything possible right now to get us prepared.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach View Post
                My daughter was drawn for the TYHP rifle hunt in October. Hopefully we’ll have some info we can share soon. I’m reading anything and everything possible right now to get us prepared.
                they're going to put you in a popup blind in a pre-determined location with a guide for the TYHP hunt. Probably will be hunting different parts of the refuge than where the other hunts are on.

Comment

Me and brother were drawn for 12/1 -12/3. Hopefully good hunt. Went on a bow hunt a few times. It can be Hard to get bow range, hopefully can reach out and touch something with a gun. We hunt woods and river bottoms, so really shoot predominantly 50-75 yrd during gun season. Prob start practicing out to 200-300yrds. Would rather be prepared.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonS View Post
                    Prob start practicing out to 200-300yrds. Would rather be prepared.
                    thats the right strategy, we had some at 200-300 and i wasn’t prepared for that long a shot

Staged up on a prairie

Comment

My cousin and I will be out there 8-10 as well. First time down there and hoping Ebike treats us well.

Comment

Shot out to 200 today, inside 2" circle. I need to practice my trigger pull. i think i am pulling the groups a little. I only hunt wooded areas, and usually thicker brush/trees: most of my gun shots are 50-75 yrds. I know 200 isnt far, but i dont ever shoot/practice that. I am hoping to work up to solid 300yrd shots. It was pretty open in many areas from ow hunting there a few years ago. Im happy my new ammo shot well, i am planning on shooting 180gr barnes TSX, from a 300 WSM. Be more thn enough for deer, and im thinking should work on Nilgia as well.

Comment

Anybody who has not been there, you will get flats, lots of flats. I ran liners and slimed tires. Multiped flats a day, depending on how far i pedaled. Yall have been warned!

Comment

Bringing this back up. Less than a week to go.

Comment

Goodluck! We Drew Archery 12/14. Will be following along

Comment

Working...
                              X