Nannie Stringfellow Anyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nannie Stringfellow Anyone

Anyone hunt here before? Selected for a doe hunt. I know about the mosquitoes. Wondering about low success rates.

We had a youth hunt there 4 years ago and drawn again this year for the same Doe/Spike hunt. The unit is divided by a county road and you pick your stand in order of the permit # you received. For the youth hunt they had 8 or 9 stands on the San Bernard NWR that were also available to choose from, but you could not corn on the NWR.(not sure if those are available for adult hunts or not). Depending on the stand you pick, you could have multiple other hunters that have to pass by your hunt area to and from their stands. The Mosquitos's have not been bad all summer because of the drought, but we did receive some decent rain last week and I expect them to be out in force for the foreseeable future. We choose one of the NWR stands as we could come and go as we pleased without having to mess up anyone else's hunt. Side By Sides and 4 wheelers are allowed. There are plenty of deer on the WMA ,but the Either sex hunts are usually first and like any other area hunting pressure can slow down deer movement. We seen Deer and Hogs both days of our hunt but the Deer were at the end of the ROW over 250 yds. and he only felt confident out to 100 yds. The WMA Staff is very friendly and helpful. Good Luck
    Last edited by Static1968; 09-19-2023, 07:12 AM.

Comment

I'll be out there end of November for the "Archery Hunt". Closest places to stay recommendations?

Comment

Lodging in Lake Jackson is close enough. Deer in the area aren’t corn hogs. They may walk right by it - pigs on the other hand will scarf it up. If it gets wet it will get muddy in a hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by WamBow View Post
          I'll be out there end of November for the "Archery Hunt". Closest places to stay recommendations?
          lake jackson or air bnb at surfside beach. you might get cheaper rate in off season

Comment

Ernest is the man. Get prepped. Be mobile. Sit long. You’ll get your shot and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by WamBow View Post
              I'll be there for that one too.

Comment

yea, it gets muddy. Lots of pigs and we saw a few deer but only hunted it for pigs.

Comment

Bring a thermocell!!!!

Comment

Anyone gone down there as a standby?

Comment

i live one hour away and have a spare room, easy straight shot. for this area 1 hour is normal lol

Comment

Any good hogs in here? I luckily drew it on second draw

Comment

I hunted hofs there last year. I saw one hog, a 170 lb boar, which I shot. there were other hogs taken. It was pretty dry last year and the bugs weren't too bad. If it is wet, I'd bring bug protection. I probably would have gotten more hogs but I was out late taking care of the one I shot and didn't hunt the next morning. I moved stands since I had shot one at the first stand. Should have gone back to the original stand. Staff was very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by qjt7609 View Post
                            Anyone gone down there as a standby?
                            I didn't go as standby but there were a good number of standbys when I was down there. If I were closer I'd give it a try.

Comment

Working...
                            X