Colorado Bend State Park - Antlerless/Spike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado Bend State Park - Antlerless/Spike

I drew Colorado Bend State Park. Any tips/info would be greatly appreciated. My focus will be chasing/locating the Aoudad there. I’ll be bringing a 30.06. Anyone else draw this hunt? Thanks!!!!

I along with my 3 friends were drawn for there too. I think we are on the hunt Nov 6,7,8. I was not aware of the Aoudad. I would like to have a nice wall hanger with a big shaggy front on it. Never been there hunting or camping. Would like some pointers or any info also. Will have .270 or .308. Good luck.

Comment

I think the hunt area to the west of the campground hunt area had the most aoudad. My dad and I hunted it a few yrs ago. He shot 2 does and I only got a hog. We had the campground area, it was pretty thick. Beautiful country though.

Comment

From the TPWD page baiting is not allowed with corn, only processed sweet horse and mule feed. I guess that is better than nothing.

Comment

I’ll be there Nov 6th,7th, and 8th. Look up previous threads on Colorado Bend State park and you’ll see some stories of people shooting Aoudad. I need to call and see if Alfalfa is allowed….sweet feed should work well.

Comment

How did you do? I saw three aoudad late Wednesday morning and could not get a shot. The runt of the group kept blocking my shot and I wanted a perfect shot, not wanting to go look for and drag it any farther then needed. The little one just stayed in front of the bigger ones the whole time even when walking off. Maybe I should have settled for the little guy. Oh well, maybe another time.

Comment

I set up a sweet feed pile in the bottom of a canyon first thing Monday. That afternoon I spooked a few aoudad while I was hiking the canyon. They ran down the cliff before I could get a shot. Later that day I fell and may have lost my zero. That evening I took two shots across the canyon at a big Ewe. The recover was not possible/ and I may have missed. Tuesday nothing besides a picture of a Ewe at my bait pile….while I was hiking around. Wednesday morning I spooked a whole herd of Aoudad while walking into my pop blind spot. A few large rams in that group. Overall it was a fun time….but I think the hunt needs to be 3 full days.

Comment

Well at least you saw what you were after. I was game for whatever came up. I wished I could of at least been able to take a doe. The aoudad would have been icing on the cornbread as my dad used to say. Looking back maybe I should have tried squeezing a shot on one of the big ones, but that is in the rearview window. I would go again if drawn, I was surprised according to the park guy there only 3-4 deer , 7 hogs and one axis taken. I would have thought more would have been taken out of there but you never know.

Comment

My group will be there the first week of December. Which units did y'all see the Aoudad in? Hope to get a go at one! Thanks

Comment

2,3 near the Gorman falls/Gorman Springs trail. There’s tracks/droppings everywhere. Supposedly 5 has Aoudad in it too. 1 is flat and better for people going for deer. 4 has canyons too but it will be a long hike in the mornings/evenings.

I would set up a pop up blind over sweet feed with a camera. Sit in the morning/evening and spend the day hiking the canyons.

Bring good hiking boots/shoes.

Comment

How far would potential shots be in-this unit??

Comment

Working...
                      X