How's Public Hunting in Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How's Public Hunting in Texas?

What is it like hunting public land here in Texas for Deer? Is it just a bunch of guys with their "own" territory and stands that are territorial or people hiking around and stalking like up North US. I know there's not a lot of acres and landscape like up North.....just wondering cause I've never hunted Public land here before

Also doesn't seem like a lot of Public Land for Deer hunts here in Texas

If you are used to the Midwest gun seasons, I have never experienced anything like that when I have done public in TX. I can’t speak to how it’s done currently as I’m moving from Ohio in a week. 6 years ago, I used to bow hunt East Texas public and have only seen maybe one or two people in the woods in that time frame. I would assume that there are way more people on foot roaming like they do on YouTube nowadays!

Comment

Since you live in the southern third of Texas, you could build points for all of the Laguna Atascosa TPWD hunts, both archery and rifle. The draw odds there are better than others, especially as your points get cubed. As far as what to expect, read the threads. I would apply with a friend or two for safety, and for assistance in packing out a nilgai. I don't like rattlesnakes or ticks, so I have never made the trip.

You can buy the Public Hunting Lands permit. They will send you a booklet that has a map of each public hunt unit. in your region. To apply for postcard hunts, you have to buy this permit as well.

Comment

It is what you make of it... but it isn't easy.

Comment

675,000 acres of national forest land between the Angelina National Forest, Davy Crockett National Forest, Sabine National Forest and Sam Houston National Forest. All have great deer hunting. Then when you add in the WMA's which make up approximately another 700,000 acres of huntable land, I'd say there's plenty of public land to hunt across the state.

I primarily hunt the Angelina NF and the Angelina-Neches/Dam B WMA. It's not a walk in the park but there's definitely some good deer hunting to be had out there. You'll have some guys that are territorial which is understandable, but for the most part I rarely cross paths with another hunter while in the woods. I hunt from a climber some but mostly still hunt. If I go to one spot and see a vehicle in that vicinity I just ease on to another spot.

Comment

I hunt open bow public land, Somerville, Lake Whitney, etc. You find stands in easy to reach places, obvious places, and lazy places.
            Old stands, new stands, blinds, chairs, toilets, and tarps.

I have seen 2 other hunters in areas where I hunt. One of those hunters I showed the area to and he hunts with me. The other was a young man walking around in his puma soccer shoes, blue jeans, and walmart crossbow.

If you are willing to put in the work, you will find what you seek. Prepare to walk and sweat.

Comment

I have 100,000+ acres of public deer hunting within an hour and half drive of my house, so I'm not complaining

Comment

The main types of public land that can potentially be hunted in Texas: US Forest Service, National Park Service, Corps of Engineers, National Wildlife Refuge, and State Lands.

Each type of land has different rules so it's best to identify a place and then research if it's open and what's required to hunt it.

It can get a little complicated because some US Forest Service Lands are enrolled in the Texas Public Hunting Program so you would need a State Permit to hunt it and some US Forest Service land is wide open with no permit required. This is just one example.

Research is key to finding a place and being legal. Most public land that is open for hunting can be pretty crowded on weekends.

Comment

Working...
                X