Another Rio Grande NWR thread…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Rio Grande NWR thread…

What’s up TBH community, been a couple years since I got on and checked in. Life got busy and just never got on. Anyhow, got drawn for hunt at Schalaben down south mid November. Been trying to beef up my arrow setup just incase I get an opportunity on a Nilgai. Current setup is Easton Axis 5mm with 100gr grim reapers out of a 68lb obsession. Weight is probably right at 400gr and approx 11.5% FOC. It screams and kills whitetail no problem. I’m not shooting a Nilgai with 100gr Reapers so ive been Looking at some KUDU or VPA 125/150 single bevels. This would push me to about 425gr/13.5% or 450gr/15% FOC.

other than still being a tad on the light side, does anyone see anything wrong with this? Should I be conservative and stay with the 125s so I don’t get FOC too high on a lighter arrow?

also, how is the whitetail activity that far south mid November? Never hunted that far south, rut where I normally hunt is close to that time but I’ve read it’s much later down in the valley.

thanks!

I harvested a Nilgai last year on the first archery hunt of Laguna. I used a Beman 340gr with a 100gr fixed broadhead. Did the trick. Plenty of penetration.

Comment

I drew that hunt for Jan. I will message you closer to see how it went for you.
      On the arrow side. I have spoke with quite a few people on this, and all have a different opinion. I would go with what you got and just study up on shot placement. At least, that is what I am gaining from all the input I have been receiving.

Comment

I'll be shooting Kudu 125s at Laguna Atascosa this year on a 460 grain arrow(unless I change my mind in the next 6 weeks). I shot my nilgai at Schalaben with a 150 gr Iron Will and a 560 gr arrow and it blew right through it but I've since gone to a lighter faster setup. If you like the Kudus you might also check out the Simmons Mako 125s. Very similar design on both of those. I have both in my quiver.

I only saw a few whitetails in 2 full days of scouting and 3 full days of hunting schalaben. I put in 25 mile of hiking over that place and it isn't very big. It's just so incredibly thick. Saw way more nilgai than whitetails plus one old hereford bull that was in there. I've hunted Schalaben and Teniente in November and there was no rut activity. November down there is like September in North Texas.

Comment

Hey everyone! I got drawn for the first week of December at Schalaben and started doing some research. Found this awesome community in the process so I must have been living under a rock! Hasn't been much action on this thread for a while but if anyone has some thoughts I would love to discuss. Thank you in advance!

Comment

I got December 14-17 from what I’ve read it’s super thick with few roads it sounds like a place with a lot of animals just hard to get to I like it already

Comment

Working...
            X