LANWR archery deer Jan 2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LANWR archery deer Jan 2024

I was laying in my hospital bed this morning about 20 min from going into surgery for my left rotator cuff repair. The wife handed me my phone and said "read your text".
    I looked at my phone and read this from my buddy Josh:
    "Holy crap! We drew Laguna Atascosa NWR archery deer! Jan 5-9, 2024! Time to start rehab and get you ready!"
    I looked at the nurse and said "let's hurry up n get this done!"

So if anyone can find a link to a prior thread on this hunt with good info, post it here and I'll be forever indebted. Im sure I'll be asking a lot of questions on here before Jan.

I'm particularly interested in the camping situation with an RV. I can boondock if necessary but prefer full hookups.

We are so excited about this one. This is our first ever draw hunt, and other than the rifle hunt at this location, this is the one I wanted most.

For those wondering, we had 2 points each for this category

FYI - I'm having a really difficult time with the search function on the new site, particularly in finding older threads.
    Last edited by rolylane6; 09-05-2023, 08:00 PM.

Good luck young man !

Comment

Congrats. LANWR will separate the men from the boys. Two years ago my buddy threw the towel in on day 3. I drew the December hunt this year.

Adolf Thomae is your best bet for RV spots.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
        Congrats. LANWR will separate the men from the boys. Two years ago my buddy threw the towel in on day 3. I drew the December hunt this year.

I will have to stick hard to therapy to rehab my shoulder in time but I'm also going to have to get the rest of the body back in shape for this one. I know it will be a challenge and I'll officially turn 60 in Nov before the hunt takes place.

Comment

True statement bud. So many people get drawn and quit within the first 3 days because it is a hard hunt! I on the otherhand absolutely love Laguna. No better place in Texas to truly “hunt”. We are pending for the January hunt this year so the a-team may not get to go this year. Pulling for some 2nd draw luck!!!

Comment

The luxury you have with the late hunt is reading all the reports from those in front of you. Good luck! We'll be there 11/10.
            ​​​IMO get you a good crossbow now and get it setup, don't risk the hunt by tweaking your shoulder if it's not ready.

Comment

Forgot to mention, RV you'll be at Adolph with electric and IIRC water. Don't leave your expensive prescription sunglasses on the campsite table.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                Don't leave your expensive prescription sunglasses on the campsite table.
                Hmm, very specific tip there...my "knowledge gained from experience" detector is pinging. Thanks, I'll wear them on a lanyard now, lol

Comment

Next question: Are E-bike allowed at LANWR?

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                    Next question: Are E-bike allowed at LANWR?
                    Yes sir they are.

Comment

Yes sir they are.
                      Great, now I gotta buy one of those!! My wife was excited for me when I drew. My gut tells me she's not going be so supportive when I start dwindling the bank account, LOL

Comment

Turning 60 in September myself. These are the basics I have learned after hunting there, on and off, over the last 10 years.
                        1. Bring a tripod that is >6' off the ground but no more than 10', best if it has wheels and can be towed behind you or your bike.
                        2. Animals down there are skittish of ground blinds, so I would stay away from using them.
                        3. Snake-boots or gaiters and permethrin bug spray for ticks should be required.
                        4. If it rains you will want a 4x4 truck or to be very careful pulling off the road.

We will be there again in November...

Comment

Plenty of information over on the Public Hunting section of this website.

Comment

Working...
                          X