Gus Engeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gus Engeling

Got selected for the Archery Deer hunt at Gus. Was wondering if anyone had a map of the compartments. Also, how do they typically go about assigning compartments for this hunt. Thanks

I have a map. PM me a phone number and I will send you a photo of the map. They will ask you what compartment that you want in orientation and you might or might not get it. That is how it was handled in years past when I hunted Gus. I was also drawn for this hunt this year.

Comment

Originally posted by HuntorFish View Post
      Got selected for the Archery Deer hunt at Gus. Was wondering if anyone had a map of the compartments. Also, how do they typically go about assigning compartments for this hunt. Thanks
      Some compartments are 4 Wheel Drive only. I have always been given a good compartment since I have a 4 wheel drive truck. I like hunting the Catfish Creek Bottom, several Compartments border Catfish Creek. Never been on an Archery Hunt there, but I have always done well.

Comment

My dad and I drew the bow hunt too. I’ve never seen the place and hope to get out there in the next few weeks just to look around. I’m heading it’s a pretty tough bow hunt but I’m excited to see what we come up with.

Comment

I've got a map too but they change the dang numbers around every year, so don't just assume if someone tells you compartment Forum is the best that is going to be the same compartment 2 this year.

Comment

My son got selected for the youth gun either sex hunt. Im curios to know about this place as well. This is his first TPWD draw and I think Im more excited than him!

Comment

I was selected for the squirrel hunt, so no bow, but I’ll be following this thread to see how it goes!

What date is your hunt?

Comment

October 17-21st is the hunt date. Thanks everyone for the maps and I also picked some up at the WMA. I went up there last weekend for a quick scouting trip. Pretty hot and dry.

Comment

My son got drawn for the youth antlerless/spike for October 28-29. This will be his first hunt, how is the terrain out there? Would a ground blind be a good option? Ive never been out there

Comment

Ground blind will work. Just covered good. Ask the biologist for suggestion where to locate your blind. It is a hard hunt. Deer over there never stop for long. They are afraid of their own shadow.

Comment

I drew the Gus for GDA (Spike/Anterless) Dec. 12 - 14.

Comment

I saw that baiting is allowed, what would you recommend to help stop deer for a second or two longer?

Comment

Originally posted by Therooster240g View Post
                          I saw that baiting is allowed, what would you recommend to help stop deer for a second or two longer?
                          The biggest buck ever killed there was taken by a hunter that used bait and watched it feed on that bait for over 15minutes before taking the shot.

So, I would if I were you.

Comment

Originally posted by Therooster240g View Post
                            You should 100% bait. Just don't use it as your main strategy. Don't hunt a spot with bait if you wouldn't hunt it without bait.

Comment

I agree with trying to select a good spot and use bait to help. Would y’all use basic deer corn or a block or something else out there? I feel corn would be the best way to go but interested what others have used.

Comment

Working...
                              X