Javelina at Chaparral WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Javelina at Chaparral WMA

My luck with the draw hunts has been pretty good over the years, but I finally drew in my highest-point category with 11 for javelina. Never been to the Chap but I’m excited to see the place. Any pointers? Is a pop-up and a corned sendero my best bet, or is there more to outsmarting javies?

Javis are straight up stupid. If you want one, find an intersection of senderos. Corn in all directions. They will find it.

Comment

A popup isn't necessary unless you just want to have one for weather. Otherwise just a stool behind a bush will work.

Comment

Shooting sticks or a truck hood. Corn the roads and sit back with a beer and binos.

Comment

Just like they said corn a 4 way and wait and stalk but don’t get caught drinking beer when your hunting

Comment

I hunted out there last year. Didn't see any javis, but shot two pigs (one archery, one rifle). I just corned the roads throughout my unit, then parked and walked them; not much activity at all until the evening time. Most units have several blinds already in place, I don't think a popup is necessary.

Several were shot, but I didn't see any. Fun hunt regardless.

Chris

Comment

When I was there on the archery deer hunt about 4 years ago, I was in the north half of Jay pasture. A group found one of my spots and I couldn’t run them off. I pulled up in my truck one mid day to check a camera and one came out and just waited. Guess it thought I was going to put more corn out.

Comment

Corn all the roads in your compartment, then walk intersections and glass. The only problem is that the deer will eat up all the corn before the javis find it.

Bring plenty of corn.

Comment

Hey man! It’s been a while. Never been to the chap or hunted javalina but I have called them in before. They respond pretty well to predator calls.

Comment

Hunt is coming up. Anybody else going?

Comment

Update: We are having a great time so far on this hunt. Most hunters have already shot their javi, and getting to watch big bucks from a nice box blind is a brand new public hunting experience for us. A&M has grad students here gutting the javis so they can collect tissue samples and measurements for a study.

Comment

Did they take any standbys this year?

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                          Update: We are having a great time so far on this hunt. Most hunters have already shot their javi, and getting to watch big bucks from a nice box blind is a brand new public hunting experience for us. A&M has grad students here gutting the javis so they can collect tissue samples and measurements for a study.
                          Glad you all are having a good time and best of luck tagging your javi. It’s a fun hunt there at the Chap.

You are seeing big bucks? Maybe you need to clean your glasses. The TBH Public Hunt Club has recently declared that there are no big bucks left at the Chap. 😎

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post

Glad you all are having a good time and best of luck tagging your javi. It’s a fun hunt there at the Chap.

You are seeing big bucks? Maybe you need to clean your glasses. The TBH Public Hunt Club has recently declared that there are no big bucks left at the Chap. 😎
                            "Big" is a relative term, lol. Just ask my wife.

Comment

“Big” relative to the bucks we have seen in 20 years of WMA draw hunts elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X